Some simple scopes of my new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some simple scopes of my new build

I took some simple measurements and scopes of my new build and jotted them down on the attachment...take a look and mention/discuss anything you see fit. This is an ODS prototype with Skyliner EQ, HRM, and just a regular Marshall (aka BluesMaster) PI and power amp. But this is only regarding the preamp signal. PAB = Preamp Boost.

And the following is the 'text' version of what I saw. Any comments appreciated. Clean sounds really good...overdrive is OK but has a little fizz on the notes.

When I put in a 100mV 880 Hz signal with PAB on and mid-boost off, at a Volume setting of about 6 or so, the waveform at V2a's grid was just starting to pull grid current and clip the top of the waveform. Measuring the AC voltage on that grid it measured 1.7vac. The idle DC cathode voltage of V2a is 1.7vdc. This is right where the Volume control hits its 'sensitive' zone which I assume is normal. At Volume setting of say 5.5 or so...V1b's plate is totally clean and the signal at V2a's grid is totally clean. At say 6.5 or so, V1b's plate is ever so slightly 'slanted' at the bottom and V2a's grid is slightly clipped on top. I'm guessing that the slight 'slant' I see on the bottom of V1b's plate is due to V2a drawing that grid current? In other words, it's not really V1b that's distorting?

I measured the DC voltage of the grids and the 'other' side of the grid stoppers with Volume on 6.5 and Drive on 8: V2b is at -8.8vdc with that 100mV signal at the input and the other side of the 150k grid stopper is at -3.7vdc so it appears that some major grid current is happening there.

And FWIW, it seems I liked the tone best when I backed off the Volume to just before that clipping on V2a's grid occured...or maybe right at it. VERY easy to go just past the sweet spot.
    Attached Files

And a couple of gut shots. Custom layout I made up but borrowed heavily form other ODS builds. Still have to tidy up a few things.

Comment

Ooooo, nice. What are those two black tab thingies on the eyelet board just above your bridge of diodes?
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks Steve. Those are some uber-overkill FREDs that I'm almost sure I got from Metro Amps a while back (I think they are like 25A or something ridiculous like that ). I actually don't like them because that tab is live, I'd like to put some sort of insulated cover on them. This amp was built using as much 'surplus' stuff as I could. I already had the PT/OT and much of the other stuff too...that's why the switches are non-standard for a Fender chassis and the pots are all over the place regarding CTS/Alpha/etc.

And FWIW, that bridge is for the relay supply (using the 5v tube rectifier filament taps) but I really should have gone with a doubler there. The Vreg is 5v and with both relays and one LED going the supply drops to 4.65vdc. If I had used a doubler there it probably would stay at a constant 5vdc. I 'might' still change it but it works fine...any reason to go back in there and change it to a doubler? The relays pull-in with as little as 2.5v (data sheet says the minimum is 70% of rating...or 3.5vdc).

Comment

Working...
        X