Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

besides deoxit, does anyone make a good quality contact cleaner ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• besides deoxit, does anyone make a good quality contact cleaner ?

I realize deoxit is the best, but i'm tired of wasting abut 80% of every can because they use containers that spray it out like a damn firehose. Or like the last can, the top is defective and it just goes all over my hands instead of the target. So may as well pay 1/3 as much for something that lasts a while and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Gotta be somehing else out there? I saw a number of them at frys last time i was there that were way cheaper but i had no idea which may be good or worthless. Help please?

The spray cans are a 5% solution of the stuff, the other 95% is just propellant and juice. If you only want a drop of the super juice, but a bottle of the 100% Deoxit, then drip in a drop on a toothpick. I like the spray, as it gets into places not directly in line with a hole. The spray all over makes sure the juice gets to where it needs to be. In my shop, a can lasts a long time. I also learned to make small squirts.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've asked this before, but don't recall getting an answer. So,...... is it possible to remove the new "flock shoot" style top from the can and put one of the old "regular" spray nozzles on the little "sticking out thingy". Please excuse my technical jargon. I don't expect someone to risk f'ng up a new can of the stuff, but maybe someone has an empty or near empty one they can experiment with. I haven't run out and had to order the new style can yet.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I find even with the old adjustable top, set to low it is still way too much. I just spray some into a pill bottle and apply with a toothpick or eye dropper as required.
        Or if you have enough in a pill bottle, you can insert your spray hose, cover the end with your finger, lift out, and it will hold in the hose til you release your finger.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Interesting replies, but not what i asked. Anyone know of the next best product?

Comment

I'm hesitant to say because I got chided for this last time, but what the hell. I've been using this stuff for years with great results. Say what you will. It works and works well.

https://www.chemtronics.com/dpl-deep...ting-lubricant

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              I'm hesitant to say because I got chided for this last time, but what the hell. I've been using this stuff for years with great results. Say what you will. It works and works well.

https://www.chemtronics.com/dpl-deep...ting-lubricant
              Thanks, but regardless of what you or anyone thinks of it, it's not specifically a contact cleaner so I wouldn't use it.

Comment

What about CRC? They generally make great stuff tho the contact cleaner is one of thier spray products i have yet to try.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-5103-...iABEgL3mPD_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
                  Thanks, but regardless of what you or anyone thinks of it, it's not specifically a contact cleaner so I wouldn't use it.
                  It does say in the first line of the description, "DPL® Lubricant is specially engineered to clean, displace moisture, inhibit corrosion, reduce friction and protect metal surfaces in one easy step."

But, I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything.

Comment

What about CRC? They generally make great stuff tho the contact cleaner is one of thier spray products i have yet to try.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-5103-...iABEgL3mPD_BwE
                    I use this also. Buy it at the local NAPA auto parts store. Never had it dissolve plastic, yet. I also have a bottle of Deoxit d100 that is over 15 years old.

Comment

I've used Nu-trol extensively and never had any problem with it.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Interesting replies, but not what i asked. Anyone know of the next best product?
                        https://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/A...icant-11oz-Can

I also have had defective deoxit cans where every time you spray some, about 5X as much sprays out of the nozzle all over your hand simultaneously.

A friend who worked at a shop got me a bottle of Max Pro a while back and I remember liking it a lot. That was a few years ago. I never bought it again because I didn't feel like searching for it and thought Deoxit was similar. But after a few bottles where it is mostly lost becasue of crappy nozzle..........i ordered a can of Max Pro yesterday

Comment

Deoxit is horrendously expensive in the UK. I use this - Servisol

Comment

Semi Caig D5 fans may be umm..... sort of delighted to hear Parts Express has "old fashioned" spray cans - without the hi tech fiasco sprayer - on sale offered at $16.98, part 349-240. Get 'em while you can! Crikeys, wasn't too long ago PX had 'em 10 bucks cheaper, before the crappy spray cans arrived.
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                              ...Parts Express has "old fashioned" spray cans - without the hi tech fiasco sprayer - on sale offered at $16.98, part 349-240. Get 'em while you can! Crikeys, wasn't too long ago PX had 'em 10 bucks cheaper, before the crappy spray cans arrived.
                              Who'da thunk the world would be clamoring for NOS Deoxit cans?
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                              X