Epiphone Electar/Zephyr Back Biasing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Electar/Zephyr Back Biasing!

The subject of back Biasing came up recently in a thread about a Silvertone 1474, I believe.

Well, restoring a late 40's Electar/Zephyr I noticed no cathode resistor, pins 1 & 8 of the 6L6's be grounded, so I'm wondering- WTF is going on here?

Sure enough, with the field coil speaker connected and output tubes in, there's negative bias voltage on pin 5's!

I need to draw out a schematic, ones I found aren't the same.
    Damn, they made a few versions of this amp. This has tremolo.

The HV center tap is connected to a dual 40uf/450v cap ground, BUT- the two positive sides are used for filtering the screens and a B+ node, not grounded as shown on the Aiken site.
    There is a big old adjustable ceramic resistor between the HV center tap and ground, to adjust the bias.

So back Biasing does (did?) Exist in the real world.

Have you looked on the Riders PA schematics manual for the correct one? Do you know if Epiphone was the original maker?

Comment

What is the "Riders PA" schematic manual?

From everything be I've found it is a late 40's Epiphone Electar/Zephyr .

Comment

I THINK what he refers to is the series of Rider guides. They were a similar idea as Sams Photofact, but from an earlier time. A service you subscribed to if you ran a radio/tv repair shop.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Fascinating captain.
          A dozen or so caps and resistors and this old relic is screaming and warbling almost like new.
          I wouldn't know as this was built long before I was born.

Just need to straighten the top control panel and it's dirty grubby wiring and she's good to go.

Comment

Read there was 3 or more schematics for this amp over the years.
            http://prewaramps.org/schematics.htm

Comment

Thanks, found that site.
              None of those are close.

Comment

Better late than never! This I my personal Zephyr that I traced out years ago. It has the back biasing. I actually pulled out the schematic I drew to restore it, as I've mucked with it so much over the years, I don't even know what's what with it. I'm actually going to restore it to what I think the 2nd generation of the Zephyrs were...all 6SL7s in the pre, and a cathode resistor on the outputs

Click image for larger version

Name:	40's Epiphone Electar Zephyr 001.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	946359
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X