X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender super Sonic 22. More clean headroom

Hello guys

I have a super Sonic 22 in for a new reverb tank
    He asked me if there is anyway I can get more clean headroom.
    Tested all the tubes ok. I have tried with new set of 6v6 no change .
    Bias is at 19ma pt
    Modding is not something I know much about.
    Any ideas
    Fender-Super-Sonic-22-Schematic.pdf

Thanks Mr A

get a bigger amp with 6L6s

Comment

Well thanks for that. Not what I was asking. Please feel free not to comment anymore. Have a nice day

Comment

Assuming the the amp is able to produce its rated clean power, you could try to use a high efficiency speaker like a Celestion Vintage 30. 3dB more speaker efficiency doubles your sound power. I don't have any info about the Fender speaker, though.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

That's the sort of glib comment you'll get here... When it's the experienced truth. If you keep cool and take it as such, make a comment more like "Yeah, well of course. But that's not an option that on the table." Then you might get a more practical response like:

Try talking your guy into a more efficient speaker. I don't know what the stock speaker is, but I'll bet it's not super efficient. Getting a speaker with 3dB more efficiency would have the same affect on loudness as doubling the watts.

Another practical consideration is whether by headroom your guy means 'where the volume knob is when the amp starts to break up' or 'I need the amp to be louder'.?. Two very different things that get confused sometimes.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Ah! Simulpost! with identical suggestions and considerations too. So there's your answer Helmholtz is a sharp cookie
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thank you Chuck . He says it gets to about 4 and just not clean enough. He said will I need another amp. There maybe something I can do...
              The speaker is a fender special design by Eminence.
              Any ideas on what speaker I should look it.
              My local Guitar shop stocks Marshall UK made vintage 30.
              What's your thoughts ?
              Thanks a

Comment

Sorry just seen the second post. On the vintage 30. You lot can type quick compared to me

Comment

He says the volume is not the issue. It's where it breaks up.

Comment

Originally posted by Arbutt View Post
                    Reposition the knob on the shaft so that it breaks up on 8

Edit: Or try removing C1

Comment

Now, doesn't this mean that there is too little clean volume? The numbers on the volume pot are irrelevant. Even a high power "clean" amp like a Twin Reverb starts to break up around 4 depending on PUs used.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

In his words were. When I turn up to about 4. It just breaks up too early. He would like it to break up later giving him more cleaner head room .
                        So I can have a louder cleaner sound

Comment

Volume knob on 4 is the maximum clean that you will get.
                          And if you measure it, that is the maximum output of the amp.
                          After 4, it's all overdriven.

It's typical of most Fender amps.

You could try a different tube type in V1. (12AT7, 12AU7)

Comment

There is already a 12at7 in V5, phase splitter. You can try lifting C1. Or this, put another 12AT7 in V1, or even a 12au7 in V5. Lots of possibilities.

Comment

He would like it to break up later giving him more cleaner head room .
                              So I can have a louder cleaner sound
                              Those two statements sound contradictory to me but I suppose he means that it will get loud enough but it's too distorted when it does so looks like a more efficient speaker is the way to go. It will still start to break up on 4 but it will be louder with a more efficient speaker.

Comment

Working...
                              X