Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    Ah! I'm thinking of the Bronco.

Harvard/Bronco ... Just got a couple of oddballs confused.

It's actually Harvard/Tweed Vibrolux. Exact same circuit but the vibrolux adds a triode to run the vibe. Otherwise it's verbatim.
    ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

My mistake was which oddball was the Vibro Champ. The Bronco was a Vibro Champ.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I just remember that one because I built a Harvard and then later was looking at the Vibrolux and thought hey I've seen this exact circuit before lol
        ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

On my 5f10 build, I added a 1M resistor to ground on input 1, so it is more like the standard Fender input circuit. When I did this, it tamed some of the harshness from before I did this.

Comment

Interesting question because so many factors affect tone.
            Is this the amp you have? https://el34world.com/charts/Schemat...5f10_schem.pdf
            With mods of pot replacing fixed 56k bias resistor
            .047 cap replacing .02 coupling cap on V1
            switch on 56k negative feedback resistor
            Eminence Patriot ? speaker
            anything else?
            I have built some tweeds but never that one. Are you sure it is properly built? No reversed caps or wrong resistors?
            The original circuit has some places that you could mod. The lack of a 1 meg resistor to ground on the input is the first thing I noticed. The Harvard also has limited preamp gain because there is no 22uf cathode bypass cap on the second stage. But before changing a classic circuit, I would do more speaker research. I have used three Eminence Patriot 10 speakers. The Ragin Cagun had good bass but very bright top end. The Copperhead had good bass and a bright top end. The Cannabis Rex had good bass and a smooth top end. None had the raunchy speaker distortion that I love in a tweed amp with a Weber alnico speaker.
            Have fun.
            --Craig

Comment

Working...
            X