Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks R.G., I'm familiar with Self's books and his philosophy. I offered this circuit as a starting point not as a solution. The GNF netfences doesn't want, that circuit has in heaps. If we could introduce a way to reduce the GNF with a control that wouldn't destabilize this amp, I think we'd have a winner. We could name that control "Presence" and maybe get immediacy as a bonus
    Last edited by gmaslin; 10-20-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• I got a chance to work on a Two Rock Jet 35. (check reply #221.) A tiny little 1x12 combo with a pair of 6L6. WOW is it an expensive amp, though very well made. With the internal speaker it has a nice punchy sound. Into an 80s Marshall 4x12 slightly more punch. In another thread I called this LF Slam. When you pound on power cords (as I an apt to do) there is a low frequency punch that punctuates each cord.

An interesting note: I bought a newer straight front Marshall 4x12 at a pawn shop because it was cheap. It had these cheap small magnet Celestion speakers. They didn't sound bad, but the efficiency was low and they didn't have the LF Slam. I replaced those speakers with some 25W "Green Backs" from Mojo and now that cabinet compares favorably with my 80s cabinets with G12-70s.

Link to Two Rock: https://www.two-rock.com/
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

• First off... Wasn't this thread closed!?!

Second... Nice to find someone else getting useful tone from G1270's Assuming these are G12M70's. Probably Celestions least favored speaker. But in the right cabinet they actually rock really well. Never got a good clean tone out of them. I still have a pair. Maybe a quad depending on some things. I think I'm saving them for that nerd aficionado that just has to have them at any price
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Seems to me that before anyone has any business defining anything, they ought to learn to recognize it when they hear it. Only then would one have any hope of successfully measuring it, which presumably is a requirement for defining it. First step, for anyone that can't recognize it, but remains serious about the topic, might be to find some musicians that claim to hear it and get their help.

That might not be a good option for someone that has no respect for musicians that claim to hear things like immediacy in amps

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            First off... Wasn't this thread closed!?!
            Should have been. It's kind of like one of those old roads that doesn't exist anymore but still shows up somehow on maps. You know, like the ones that are found on some Japanese tourist's GPS after they drove into the ocean.

It was intended as a canard in the first place, and it's a wonder people are still attracted to pitching comments on it.

Have mercy & close it already. Immediately if not sooner.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

• Here you go.
              The meaning of "immediacy" in Bengali.

অকপটতা

Akapaṭatā

Comment

• Well closing it won't stop anyone from reading it anyway. I kinda, sorta still want to hear back from LT about his speakers
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  First off... Wasn't this thread closed!?!

Second... Nice to find someone else getting useful tone from G1270's Assuming these are G12M70's. Probably Celestions least favored speaker. But in the right cabinet they actually rock really well. Never got a good clean tone out of them. I still have a pair. Maybe a quad depending on some things. I think I'm saving them for that nerd aficionado that just has to have them at any price
                  I tried and tried to like those speakers over many years in many amps and decided that they just aren't for me. They sound find for metal I guess, but I never warmed to them for anything else. I still have one around that needs a recone, but I got a replacement kit from Ted Weber before he passed that he said would revoice it and make it sound better. Haven't got around to reconing it yet.

Greg

Comment

• Ok, turns out I haven't opened that cabinet up in a while. I know I've been in there because it has my jack plate with a 4/16 switch. Turns out it has two G12-65 (Rola Celestion) and two G12H-100. Never heard any difference between that cabinet and others using an A/B footswitch.

I hope this thread doesn't get closed because I am interested in the topic. I'm really not a good enough guitar player to have actually noticed what some call "Immediacy", but I hope I can build amps that have it, whatever it is.
                    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

• There is no reason to stop talking about the wheat, now that the chaff is gone.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• I hope the chaff you are referring to was the off topic discussion about the speed of electrons in a conduit and not a reference to members. A personal insult like that might be cause for an infraction and you would be above that kind of thing, right? Back on topic. If anyone simulated the SKA circuit above, which models did you use?

Comment

• You just can't stop stirring shit up, can you?
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• What the HECK is netfences doing *here* ?
                            Somebody who starts messages with:
                            "What a bunch of sourpusses"

Yesterday I almost commented "how well it feels here, just talking Tech stuff and the now and then the odd reference to supper" , and didnīt, just not to stir the pot and bring the bottom burnt food upwards.

This Forum has instantly soured.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                              Somebody who starts messages with:
                              "Sourpuss" is far from the worst I've been called here. Someone once had the audacity to call me "charming". I found that very hurtful.
                              -rb
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Originally posted by rjb View Post
                                Someone once had the audacity to call me "charming". I found that very hurtful.
                                Well you are there right next to Charm City after all...
                                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                                X