Identifying Speakers in a 1966 Super Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Speakers in a 1966 Super Reverb

I am trying to identify the speakers in a 1966 Fender Super Reverb Amp and I have had no luck Googling for an answer.
    The speakers appear to be an original matched set. They are ceramic magnet with the Fender "Special Design" blue labels. The only other marking is "C4-7 66" printed in white on the rim of the basket. This has me stumped since it doesn't seem to include an EIA code. The 66 makes sense since the amp is a 1966 amp.
    Can anyone help identifying the speakers?
    TIA
    Keep learning. Never give up.

A good clear photo would help. We don't need to see all 4. Focus on one and I'll bet you get an answer.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Most of the ones on Reverb.com have Oxfords in them.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
        Most of the ones on Reverb.com have Oxfords in them.
        Maybe, but I have also seen Jensen ceramics and CTS alnicos in these years.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

True , but i said most. Also, the Jensens have a 220 eia code which is usually very visible. Op said they are ceramics.

Comment

Let's wait for the pictures. There are some more candidates, like Pyle or Utah. As well as CTS ceramics. Oxford ceramics often carried a paper sticker with a 465xxx number and the speaker type. And the speakers might have been replaced.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thank everyone for comments.
              Attach is a picture of the speaker I ask about. The marking on the rim is all I find and is the same on each of the four speakers.
              TIA,
              Bill

PS: I cannot upload a picture. I am using advance setting and the paperclip button and following the prompts. Tried several different types of files without luck. I'll keep trying but maybe I need to be a senior member to upload files?

Click image for larger version

Name:	C4-7 1969 Spkr Small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	851730
              I made the picture file smaller. 1.2MB would not load but 65kB did.
              Last edited by Reader; 10-08-2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Pretty sure that is an Oxford.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Pretty sure that is an Oxford.
                  Could be but, if so, wouldn't we expect to find the 465 EIA code printed on the speaker frame?

Comment

They often had a paper sticker that fell off. That said, I'm going by looks alone so I could certainly be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      They often had a paper sticker that fell off. That said, I'm going by looks alone so I could certainly be wrong.
                      I did a google images search for Oxford speakers and did find many that looked like mine.
                      Thanks for the clue Dude.
                      All four of my speakers have the same marking or lack thereof. If they once had additional marking stickers then they all fell off or were all otherwise removed.
                      B

Comment

Originally posted by Reader View Post
                        Thank everyone for comments.
                        Attach is a picture of the speaker I ask about. The marking on the rim is all I find and is the same on each of the four speakers.
                        TIA,
                        Bill

PS: I cannot upload a picture. I am using advance setting and the paperclip button and following the prompts. Tried several different types of files without luck. I'll keep trying but maybe I need to be a senior member to upload files?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50641[/ATTACH]
                        I made the picture file smaller. 1.2MB would not load but 65kB did.
                        The hole pattern in the frame looks like Utah: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UTAH-10-Spe...-/153204811679
                        My Oxfords have a different frame pattern (no round holes).
                        Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-08-2018, 11:09 PM.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

On second glance, I think you are right, Helmholtz. I hadn't noticed the round holes.

Comment

137 so CTS?Click image for larger version

Name:	fender-super-reverb-1965-cons-back-panel-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	851742

Comment

Often the EIA code is stamped under that blue Fender sticker. If you can carefully peel it back, I bet you find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X