Digi-Log Reverb Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digi-Log Reverb Module

I'm thinking about building a reverb pedal using the BTDR-2H module. Has anyone tried one of these?
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...ini-horizontal

A number of folks on the DIYstompbox forum have built decent-sounding units with these, and I gather Belton/Accutronics sells tons of them to amp makers producing lower-cost practice amps with on-board reverb.

Of course, unlike actual springs, these will not behave differently depending on how you push them. To some extent, one can design in the qualities one wants in their solid-state reverb by selecting which of the 3 modules they use, and shaping the tone via filters/EQ. Note that, internally, they are essentially a couple of PT2399 delay chips and some passive components; which is why it's a larger epoxied module rather than simply a chip. That's not to diss it in any way, because it IS a clever idea. But reverb can often be such a personal taste, much like distortion, and the idea that everyone's tastes can be addressed with 3 different modules is, well, limited.

That said, they don't go "boing" when you move anything around or knock into the chassis, they are conveniently small, and pretty inexpensive, and don't require more support circuitry than an actual spring does.

Comment

Thanks Mark. I found a kit that's based on the chip. I imagine that there countless little practice amps that use this reverb. That being said, I've never heard a reverb on one of those amps that deserved any praise. It might be more controllable in a pedal. Anyway, they're not expensive, so I'll give one a try.

Comment

Have you tried a Holy Grail reverb pedal?
        Not that it's related to that particular chip, but some folks don't care for it, and if you're in that camp, the exercise may be futile.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Have you tried?...
          No I haven't. I've got a couple of reverb pedals that I like. This is just for fun. I'm trying to populate a pedal board with stuff that I've built, or assembled. I've put quite a few together already in the last couple of years. Clones, and copies mostly. If this ones not so great, I'll try another. I built a few OD's before I found one I liked. It's paired with a clean drive now, and the two of them together sound great. I've built fuzz boxes, boosters, OD's, delays, chorus, compressors, and a slap-back echo. I've got a tremolo on the bench right now. I'm anxious to see how well it works.

I've built pickups, guitars, amps, and cabinets for a while, but never messed around with pedals much, so this has been fun.

Comment

The kit arrived today. That was pretty fast. It took ten days from Shanghai to my mailbox in Vegas. It looks like good quality components throughout. The PCB is thick, and well made. It was delivered with the medium length decay digi-log chip. Inside the packaging was a sticker with the parent company's website on it.
            http://www.prolandtone.com/
            I'll sit down and assemble it some evening this week.

Comment

I built this one...

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...digital-reverb

I like it, it sounds great!

No pcb though. It's all point to point on terminal strips.
              If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
              I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

It works quite well and they added a neat trick to make it sound "sproingy", they are quite clever.
                In fact it was an "outside design" which they bought.
                PT2399 by themselves are ludicrous .
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post
                  I built this one...

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...digital-reverb

I like it, it sounds great!

No pcb though. It's all point to point on terminal strips.
                  Very Cool! I saw the same one at amplifiedparts.com The MOD kits are nice. I built one of their amps

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                  It works quite well and they added a neat trick to make it sound "sproingy", they are quite clever.
                  In fact it was an "outside design" which they bought.
                  PT2399 by themselves are ludicrous .
                  I've heard more good than bad since I've had an opportunity to research. As soon as I get some other work out of the way, I'll put it together. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I finished the pedal over the weekend. After a couple of days to check it out, I'm not disappointed. It sounds pretty good. It emulates a spring, but with the dwell up high, it seems to have sort of a hollow/hall emphasis. It has two NE5532P opamps. One wet, one dry. These are blended in the output. I liked it best with my lap steel.

Comment

Working...
                    X