Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post
    I'm sure you could buff that out....
    got a brand new gallon of heavy compound just inching to do some work!
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      That's funny. Let's see it in all it's glory.

Im thinking it's the negative feedback circuit. Dang negative feedback. Notice Im using carbon com's for that little added extra 'grit'.
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

looks like real engineering genius aka real trainwreck mojo. this picture can't be real??? is it?

"persistence of man," comes to mind. great stuff

also aside, waht are the ACTUAL values of all those carbon comps ? how much mojo can you really dial in? I'm not saying you can't make it sound better and better with more tweaks, but it seems funny to tweak something to such an extent, yet all the resistor component values are the least reliable values becasue of them being carbon comp.

I know in my experience 1.5K cathode resistor vs 1.8K is a big change in sound. in a build I once put 1.6K cathode resistor in two gain stages because i was out of 1.5K. later on (months later) I played the amp again and thought it sounded nasally and a bit more thin sounding compared to other same amps. Opening it up, I noticed the 1.6k. Perhaps I heard waht I wanted, but changing both 1.6K cathode resistor to 1.5K was an easily noticeable improvement as far as what I expected/preferred it to sound like. I don't think I was "wanting to believe," I think it really was a big improvement. only so much more surprising because I thought the small change in component values would be inaudible. but anyway, is this picture real?

Edit: obviously pic is real, BUT what i really wonder is is it a funny pic found online, or the real build under discussion
        Last edited by nsubulysses; 11-07-2018, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
          Notice Im using carbon com's for that little added extra 'grit'.
          Solid state devices are sometimes referred to as 'sand' (silicon). That might get you even more grit!
          You can make your own, this will get you started: https://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2...g-silicon-sand
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

There were no bigger names in the analog field than Bob Pease and Jim Williams.

Google
            "Bob Pease workbench" and "Jim Williams workbench" and see how actual engineers actually work.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Google
              "Bob Pease workbench" and "Jim Williams workbench" and see how actual engineers actually work.
              All of a sudden I feel better about myself...

Jusrin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                All of a sudden I feel better about myself...
                I thought mine was a well ordered chaos but now it looks like I'm OCD tidy.

Comment

Solid state devices are sometimes referred to as 'sand' (silicon). That might get you even more grit!
                  You can make your own, this will get you started: https://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2...g-silicon-sand
                  For those builders who absolutely *must* have a scratch build.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    There were no bigger names in the analog field than Bob Pease and Jim Williams.

Google
                    Oh man, crying here ... "First Prize: Ugliest Desk" : https://www.electronicdesign.com/sit...ffice_Fig2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                      Got the input wiring all redone, thanks for the help. It's close, but I think there's still a slight hum. I narrowed it down to this gain stage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51023[/ATTACH]
                      Holly F..k! Man, this is really something....functional ? Seems like a hell of extreme point to point wirring. Expression of Agression. It clearly show how you Mogamy frustration transcend from You project. Very cool.
                      Last edited by catalin gramada; 04-22-2019, 01:39 PM.
                      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

That's funny. Let's see it in all it's glory.

I love it! The second chief engineer I learned from wired in this style in prototyping circuits. Low level SS circuits, running off +/-15V, and often would be changing parts with hands' on/powered up in the nest, which at that stage of my education freaked me out. When you get the circuit right, POT IT!! (encapsulate it)
                        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
                        X