High Fidelity / Musicons / Concert Ear Plugs - Revies & Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
    My issue is that past ear damage makes the music sound just like it is being played through a distorted system after it reaches a certain high SPL.
    I've noticed that ever since I can remember. I thought it worked that way for everybody. I call it the "ear's built-in limiter" - possibly the point at which the tiny hairs in the cochlea can move no further, and massive stimulation of their associated nerves causes a "crunch" sensation to be registered in the brain. Just my theory, fwiw. When that happens, you know for sure it's too loud & get out of the damage zone.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
      I've noticed that ever since I can remember. I thought it worked that way for everybody. I call it the "ear's built-in limiter" - possibly the point at which the tiny hairs in the cochlea can move no further, and massive stimulation of their associated nerves causes a "crunch" sensation to be registered in the brain. Just my theory, fwiw. When that happens, you know for sure it's too loud & get out of the damage zone.
      In my case, the problem started with a specific high SPL occurrence to one ear 50 years ago. It evolved (sensitive to different frequencies) and got progressively worse over the years.

Comment

I've had custom molded plugs for over 10 years and use them whenever I play. However, I've found that their response isn't flat enough for live sound mixing, so at high SPL shows, I get a decent mix happening, then insert the plugs and try not to tweak the mix thereafter.

Comment

Working...
        X