NAD Vox Buckingham - Couple of issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    That will work. But it will get half of the power coming from the amplifier so make sure it has a sufficient wattage rating.
    Amp is rated at 35W@8 ohms. The original Sovereign head that matched to this cabinet was rated at 60W@4 ohms, so 30ish watts at 8 ohms should be in the wheelhouse and ok for the amp.

Comment

Had a chance to go through the Vox schematics and parts lists.

The Cambridge Reverb used a 10 inch 4 ohm speaker #33-5079-6.
      The Scorpion used a 10 inch 4 ohm speaker #33-5099-6.

And apparently the Sovereign used 12 inch 4 ohm drivers. I don't have parts lists for this model.

As for reverb "Delay Line"s, all amps that have a transformer driven tank use part #23-5002-2.
      All later amps that did not have a transformer driven tank use part #23-5004-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamm7215 View Post
        Amp is rated at 35W@8 ohms. The original Sovereign head that matched to this cabinet was rated at 60W@4 ohms, so 30ish watts at 8 ohms should be in the wheelhouse and ok for the amp.
        I think G1 was talking about the series resistor wattage rating.
        Your amp puts out 30W into 8 ohm.
        Your cabinet is 4 ohm, series resistor also 4 ohm, power will split 15W to speakers, 15W to resistor, so use at least a 20W or 25W one so as to play it safe.

Someday you might want to build (or get) a 2 x 12" cabinet and fit there 2 of your current speakers, series wired for 8 ohms, so it perfectly matches your current head, and get the full 30W.

EDIT: too slepy now, correct above 30W to 35W and any numbers derived from that.
        See you tomorrow.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
          Had a chance to go through the Vox schematics and parts lists.

The Cambridge Reverb used a 10 inch 4 ohm speaker #33-5079-6.
          The Scorpion used a 10 inch 4 ohm speaker #33-5099-6.

And apparently the Sovereign used 12 inch 4 ohm drivers. I don't have parts lists for this model.

As for reverb "Delay Line"s, all amps that have a transformer driven tank use part #23-5002-2.
          All later amps that did not have a transformer driven tank use part #23-5004-2.
          I'll pull it out again and see if I can't see a number in different light settings. Plus I'll be ordering a 4AB reverb tank as well, I'm surprised this one is even working but it doesn't that great with only one spring either. Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            I think G1 was talking about the series resistor wattage rating.
            Your amp puts out 30W into 8 ohm.
            Your cabinet is 4 ohm, series resistor also 4 ohm, power will split 15W to speakers, 15W to resistor, so use at least a 20W or 25W one so as to play it safe.

Someday you might want to build (or get) a 2 x 12" cabinet and fit there 2 of your current speakers, series wired for 8 ohms, so it perfectly matches your current head, and get the full 30W.

EDIT: too slepy now, correct above 30W to 35W and any numbers derived from that.
            See you tomorrow.
            Yes, I agree. I was pretty excited to try the amp on the Sovereign cabinet since it's also a period accurate Vox but I've been wanting to build a cabinet for the spare greenback I have anyways (8 ohm). The Original Vox schematics I have for the V1121 show the speaker cabinet having 2 16 ohm drivers wired in parallel. Thank you again for your input, I really appreciate everyone chiming in to help me down this rabbit hole

Comment

Working...
            X