Vintage Fender Champ 12 Red Knob Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Fender Champ 12 Red Knob Repair

Hi - My Champ just buzzes like crazy after the main tube heats up - no signal throughput at all. Checked all tubes for continuity; heaters fine (I don't have a valve tester, but the amp was never used much). I can't find A+, but odd readings on B+ (417VDC as opposed to 496VDC) and c+ (297VDC as opposed to 242VDC). All diodes seem ok. I'm guessing one or more of the electrolytics may be duff, but if anyone has advice, I'd be grateful. Phil

Back story? Was it working and it broke? Has it been sitting unused for a long time and didn't work when you plugged it in? If so, did it work before it was stored? flash of light, puff of smoke, dropped from a moving car?

And please access and post a schematic that we can all reference for ease of communication.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hi - thanks for replying. Last time I used it (and was working) was probably 15 years ago. It has been sitting in a decent environment for 10 or so years, but no heating (in the UK). I fired it up a while back and it simply just started buzzing (no *puff* or anything). One of the input jacks was a bit knackered, so I removed IP1 completely just to be sure that there wasn't a short. There has not been any mechanical damage of which I am aware (never been gigged, case OK etc.). I'm using this (http://ampwares.com/schematics/champ_12.pdf) for the schematic.. Thanks for your time!! Phil

Comment

Try with another 6L6.

Comment

Ta. Have just bought a couple.. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Here's the schematic. It does have quite a bit of single ended hum even when working correctly.

champ_12.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
              Here's the schematic. It does have quite a bit of single ended hum even when working correctly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50765[/ATTACH]
              Thanks!

Comment

I would test with another 6L6 as Pedro said.
                But in the meantime you can remove the 6L6, and then measure B+ again. You should see something pretty close to schematic value, probably even more.
                You can also mesure B+ with your meter in AC true rms mode. If you find several volts here that could mean you have bad filter caps in the power supply section.

Comment

A red knob Fender is vintage now? Good lord, I'm old.
                  It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Yeah, sigh...

To me 1950s is vintage, but if you are 25 years old, a 30 year old amp is from before you were born. And that is what, 1988?
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah, I remember doing warranty work on the red knobs.
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        Yeah, I remember doing warranty work on the red knobs.
                        Ha , then would that make you vintage?

nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Would it have killed them to include what type tubes are in there?
                          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
                          X