EB-0 Mudbucker restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EB-0 Mudbucker restoration

I have an Mudbucker (taken out of an EB-0 Bass) to restore; unfortunatelly I have no experience with such a pickup design.
    The pickup has no wire on one of the two bobins so I have no idea about the way it was originally wired, "Survivor Coil" reads close to 15k.
    now, coming to magnets, they are arranged in a North/Poles/South configuration thus having no magnetization on the central screws (poles), I'm not able to tell if this was the original configuration but it sounds a bit weird to me.
    Is there anyone with experience in this kind of pickup that could give me a little help?
    thanks!!!

Here's one that I documented, that I modified, and made into my own design.
    You may get some ideas from it on the sidewinder concept.
    I never was too crazy about the muddy sound of the original design.
    https://music-electronics-forum.com/...eb-0+mudbucker
    GL,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Here's one that I documented, that I modified, and made into my own design.
      You may get some ideas from it on the sidewinder concept.
      I never was too crazy about the muddy sound of the original design.
      https://music-electronics-forum.com/...eb-0+mudbucker
      GL,
      T
      Thank you BT, I read already your post, definetly very interesting but I still have no clue about which would be the proper way to arrange magnets and coils; as far as I understood the original Mudbucker should be in SideWinder configuration, but unfortunatelly that is a configuration I never experimented (BTW, do you have any link to some SideWinder design explaination?). could you please give me further information?
      reading your post magnets should be arranged in North/Poles/North, correct?
      as per bobins I will have a couple of CW wound bobins so, if the correct magnet configuration is North/Poles/North, one bobin shall have North pole on the bottom side and the other one shall have South pole on the bottom side, wire connection should be:
      start of bobin 1 to gnd
      Finish of bobin 1 to Finish of bobin 2
      start of bobin 2 to Hot
      is my guessing correct?

Comment

Sidewinders always strain the brain a bit. lol
        I think EB-0 bobbins are the same top and bottom, and can be flipped and can be mounted either way.
        Both sets of magnets turned N/poles/N, or S/poles/S.
        The signal flows through one bobbin clockwise, and through the other bobbin counter clockwise.
        So if both bobbins are wound CCW, then, output on one start lead, out on finish, in on the other start, and out on finish.
        This differs from a side by side humbucker, because the two sidewinder bobbins are laid down facing each other.
        If they are out of phase, simply reverse the leads on one bobbin.
        GL,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Rickenbacker 4001-1974 with EB-O Mudbucker bridge pickup

The crazy things a young kid will do to his Rickenbacker 4001 bass. After reworking the neck of a Gretsch 6070 bass and stripping the finish off to natural maple, I had installed a mudbucker bridge pickup on that instrument, and did like the results, though there was no top end...just thunderous deep bass with the hollow body, I decided to pull the front pickup from the Rick. Routed out the cavity to fit the mudbucker in, installed a cardboard form to partially fill the cavity around the pickup and placed standoff's to mate with the cover, and revised the pick guard to fit around it.

I've never liked the sound of that pickup, and the bass sat in the case for years. That was back in the early 70's when I did that stupid thing, when I bought that Rick 4001 for $300, it being barely a year old.

I've been wanting to replace that pickup, but just haven't had the spare funds to do it. Winding my own pickups isn't something I had considered, and don't yet have the winding machine to do that with, but....it's now something I might just want to delve into. I spend most of my efforts keeping backline gear repaired & maintained at CenterStaging in Burbank as well as lots of pro audio gear.

I read thru big_teee's earlier post on winding new coils for the EB-0 pickup, and was very intrigued. I'd love to re-do the front pickup on my big Gretsch, as well as the Rick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B-E-A-D-strung bass-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	851848 Click image for larger version

Name:	B-E-A-D-strung bass-2.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	851849 Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view-13.jpg
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	851850Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view-18.jpg
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	851851

What would you suggest for a winding machine and the necessary hardware to be able to indulge in this?
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
          X