Jack input issue on Marshall amp - BRISTOL UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack input issue on Marshall amp - BRISTOL UK

The metallic strips have been bent on my jack input for my Marshall valvestate. The only way of the jack making a good connection is to pull down on the lead which then angles the jack upward to actually make contact. Are there any ideas of how i can either bend this strip back flat again? Or will I need a new jack input soldered on to the pcb? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Originally posted by Adz View Post
    Or will I need a new jack input soldered on to the pcb?
    Greetings to Bristow! That right there ^^^ is what you need. I never have had much success bending metal tabs back into place. Cliff and ReAn are the brands that make these kind of connectors. I'm sure one or more of our UK correspondents will chime in with a good UK source. Yes it is a giant pain in the you know what, to remove the printed circuit board, swap connectors, & reinstall. All part of the fun fixing amps. Welcome aboard!
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Welcome to the place!

It's best to just replace the jack. Once they are sprung, reliability goes down even if you make it work. You could desolder the jack, remove the pins, straighten and reinstall them, and resolder the jack. But, this makes little sense since you have the jack out already anyway. At that point, you may as well replace it.

Edit: I see Leo beat me to it.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Plus, once the jack is bent, you lose the function of grounding the input to reduce noise when nothing is plugged in.
        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

A lot of times it is the plastic molding opposite the side of switching part that opens and closes. The plastic warps or wears out not allowing the switching side to make good contact when nothing is plugged in.

One time I had a very hard to find jack that was wearing out. The jack carried signal to the output of the amp (effects loop stuff). Stuck a few tooth picks in between plastic molding while bending the the metal and then just break off the tip of the tooth pick. A dab of epoxy and it was good for the show that night. Was supposed to replace the jack later but it kept working. However if the OP's jack is that badly damage it is time for a new one.

P.S. I would also check the solder joints to make sure that is not the problem too.
          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
          X