Lacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacing

Just curious of those that build amps how many of you employ lacing like in the older equipment?
    And if you do what do you use(I've used Dental floss the minty stuff)
    And what method of lacing do you use?

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Not in amps per se, but I've done some cable harness lacing.
    Never had to buy the waxed string/cord because I got it from dad's workshop.
    But something like this is what would typically be used: https://www.amazon.com/WAXED-LACING-.../dp/B00IYOW2ZU
    I don't know if the waxed cord sold for beading (which you can probably pick up at any craft store) would be a good substitute - but probably at least as good as mint dental floss!
    You can find some lacing demos on Youtube.

-rb
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
      Not in amps per se, but I've done some cable harness lacing.
      Never had to buy the waxed string/cord because I got it from dad's workshop.
      But something like this is what would typically be used: https://www.amazon.com/WAXED-LACING-.../dp/B00IYOW2ZU
      I don't know if the waxed cord sold for beading (which you can probably pick up at any craft store) would be a good substitute - but probably at least as good as mint dental floss!
      You can find some lacing demos on Youtube.

-rb
      Yes but you could always say it's Minty Fresh!
      It just popped into my mind so I thought I'd ask if anyone did it.
      nosaj

Comment

Most of the time I've seen anything comparable it's with zip ties...

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

What about wire wrapping? I saw some in a thomas organ and the connections were much better than I expected for no solder.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
            Just curious of those that build amps how many of you employ lacing like in the older equipment?
            And if you do what do you use(I've used Dental floss the minty stuff)
            And what method of lacing do you use?

nosaj
            Lacing is a very old trade craft.
            It is used by the ton in telephone offices.
            It was used a lot in old commercial equipment, radios, etc.
            I have personally used in my 42 year telecomm career, thousands of rolls.
            This is what is used by th ton all over the country.
            https://www.amazon.com/WAXED-LACING-.../dp/B00IYOW2ZU
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Lacing is very old trade craft.
              It is used by the ton in telephone offices.
              It was used a lot in old commercial equipment, radios, etc.
              I have personally used in my 42 year telecomm career, thousands of rolls.
              This is what is used by th ton all over the country.
              https://www.amazon.com/WAXED-LACING-.../dp/B00IYOW2ZU
              T
              Do you find yourself using the technique at home?
              Another thing that always intrigued me was the way electricians wrap their extension cords.
              nosaj

Comment

Do you find yourself using the technique at home?
                Another thing that always intrigued me was the way electricians wrap their extension cords.
                nosaj
                Yes, I still use it around the house, and around the shop.
                I had calluses on the bottom of both little fingers, until about 5 years after retirement.
                Here's a few of the ways you can secure wire and cable.
                http://www.dairiki.org/hammond/cable-lacing-howto/
                I will try to find some of the handbooks, we used to use.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

What about wire wrapping? I saw some in a thomas organ and the connections were much better than I expected for no solder.
                  What about it? It used to be the standard method for prototyping digital circuits, and as you've seen, sometimes even for production wiring.
                  It requires special sockets or individual pins with square posts. Typically 30-ga kynar insulated wire. Special wire stripper and gun or hand tool to do the wrapping.
                  I used to have all that stuff, but gave it away years ago. Wire wrap equipment is still available, but the prices are crazy. Over $17 for a wire wrap hand tool?
                  At a place I worked for in the 80's, we had an old wire wrapping machine- kind of like a vertical plotter.
                  You entered a point-to-point wiring list, and the machine would move the gun from pin to pin (the operator still had to do the actual wrapping).

-rb

Wikipedia to the rescue.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap
                  Last edited by rjb; 10-18-2018, 03:05 AM.
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                    What about it? It used to be the standard method for prototyping digital circuits, and as you've seen, sometimes even for production wiring.
                    It requires special sockets or individual pins with square posts. Typically 30-ga kynar insulated wire. Special wire stripper and gun or hand tool to do the wrapping.
                    I used to have all that stuff, but gave it away years ago. Wire wrap equipment is still available, but the prices are crazy. Over $17 for a wire wrap hand tool?
                    At a place I worked for in the 80's, we had an old wire wrapping machine- kind of like a vertical plotter.
                    You entered a point-to-point wiring list, and the machine would move the gun from pin to pin (the operator still had to do the actual wrapping).

-rb

Wikipedia to the rescue.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap
                    Just curious if anyone used it also for prototyping .

nosaj

Comment

Just curious if anyone used it also for prototyping.
                      I used to use it for prototyping digital & low-power analog (like stomp boxes). It can get rats-nesty if you don't watch out....
                      Last edited by rjb; 10-18-2018, 04:52 AM.
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I've been using lacing cord for decades, though in the form of spot-ties (clove hitch), and not the continual run as seen in a lot of European recording consoles and older Asian equipment. It's essential for bundles of cables that need to be run thru conduits that would have the potential to hang up on obstructions if bundled with cable tie wraps. It takes longer to apply, at least for me it does. In tight spaces, it's a real PITA, but it sure holds the cable form so much tighter, and looks more professional if you take the time to comb out the criss-crossing tendencies of the wires being bundled. On long harnesses, I'll always have an un-tightened spot tie that I continually move down the bundle, while applying the permanent spot tie in the spaced intervals.

In re-packaging jobs, such as rack-mounting a pair of Yamaha PM1000 console modules, I found it much nicer using lacing cord than cable ties.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Module Harness Wiring-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	851855 Click image for larger version

Name:	Module Harness Wiring-4.jpg
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	851856 Click image for larger version

Name:	Module Harness Wiring-5.jpg
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	851857 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Harness Wiring-6.jpg
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	851858 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Harness Wiring-7.jpg
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	851859 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Harness Wiring-8.jpg
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	851860 Click image for larger version

Name:	Testing Modules-1.jpg
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	851861 Click image for larger version

Name:	PM1000R 2 CH Mic Preamp-6.jpg
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	851862
                        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I had to look that up. Glad I did.
                          I've been trying to wrap long extension cords in an over-and-under coil, like mic cables. PITA, and doesn't work so great if the cord has "memory" of previously being coiled in a continuous spiral.

This method might work for short cords, but sure takes up a whole lot of space:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkYQWJl3Zv8

This "folding" method looks like the way to go. I just wish the camera frame didn't crop off the bottom of the loops.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRDkYSSCF1A

-rb
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                          X