Cocked Wah Sound Search w/Super Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    Wow! Everyone just ignored that post I put up.?
    No, we were struck mute by its awesomeness.

-rb

EDIT: Some questions & comments on your post.
    > You told us that the tone control capacitor can alter the resonant frequency of the pickup; you could have demonstrated by showing a plot with the tone control turned down.
    > IIRC the wiring diagram with tone control "after" volume is what people call "50's wiring" (and probably is the way Steve A wired his guitars). But most 335's with stock wiring would have tone control before volume.
    > Old Guy's mention of rotary switches implies he may have a varitone (or two) in his guitar. The wiring diagrams below show that for the stereo version, both the varitones and the standard tone controls precede the volume controls; for the mono version, the standard tone controls come before volume, and master varitone comes after volume. At any rate, if you were to short out the varitone's inductor and change the capacitor values, you could use the rotary switch to change the pickup's resonant frequency. If you replaced the 100K resistor with a capacitor, you would have a variable version of Chuck's magic circuit.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2859732516_1aee2750a9_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	851913
    For some reason, I can't get the mono version to display. Oh well, it had an obvious mistake anyway- and it can easily be found online.

Later,
    -rb
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rjb; 10-23-2018, 02:29 PM.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Question is ... if I wire 2 of the 4 speakers o.o.p., will that cause any damage to the speakers?
      No problem for speakers/amp. You may try it but I don't think it will get you there.

Some thoughts: To me the nasal sound produced by 2 OOP-wired humbuckers (as used by Peter Green) is way different from the narrow peaked resonance filter sound of a wah. The latter can only give vowel-like filtering. The electronic way to create a nasal effect instead, would be a notch filter, which does not produce a peak like a wah, but a frequency dip/notch instead. Just the opposite.

To find out what type of filtering (narrow band boost or attenuation) you prefer, it would be best to get hold of a parametric equalizer which offers both and experiment with settings.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Chopping down to basics, an "anything-wah" sound means a relatively narrow resonant peak smack in the audible guitar band ... that´s what a Wah does!!! ... and implies a resonant circuit of some sort; usually an LC one unless you want to go active.
        No phase/antiphase wiring will do that because it lacks the L/C element.

So options are:
        1) actually use a Wah
        2) use a Guitar with an LC resonant thingie inside (Gibson Varitone for example) , which is clearly part of the Kings sound but is being conveniently ignored by the OP, who wants to get it with "any guitar" but not using it
        3) use a *small* capacitor to tune pickup inductance somewhere in the desired band; it will not alter Bass, will produce a peak at desired frequency and roll off highs above that (instead of the massive treble rolloff cause by conventional .022 or .047 caps).

Pick one.
        PS: suitable circuits doing that have already been suggested above.
        Just sayin´
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Chopping down to basics, an "anything-wah" sound means a relatively narrow resonant peak smack in the audible guitar band ... that´s what a Wah does!!! ... and implies a resonant circuit of some sort; usually an LC one unless you want to go active.
          True, but - as indicated above - there seems to be some contradiction in post #1. As mentioned by the OP he prefers an OOP PU sound and the Gibson Varitone circuit is actually a (series resonance) LC notch filter. Consequently any wah-type resonance boost circuit may be counterproductive.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-23-2018, 10:42 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I've seen lots of completely different circuits described as producing a "cocked wah sound" or "something like a cocked wah sound". OP said "cocked wah sound". What OP meant was "sounds like Freddy King's tone". Is that actually a "cocked wah sound"? I dunno; I mostly back up fiddle players with an acoustic flattop.

-rb
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
            X