Are these original Gibson PUs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these original Gibson PUs ?

Guitar is a 1966 Gibson SG Standard. Do you folk have comments on the originality of the pickups ? Note clipped corners on the base plate of one.
    Attached Files

Those p'ups have been tempered with, so… it's impossible to assess what they actually are without open'em and dissect'em.
    Last edited by LtKojak; 10-24-2018, 06:32 AM.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

I agree, that judging by the amount of solder they have been donked with.
      I would also like to see pictures of the front side, and pics of the control cavity!
      I'm sure he's wanting to know if they are PAFs?
      I'm not into vintage, and my answer would be if they sound good, then play the hell out of them!
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 10-23-2018, 05:37 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

No more PAFs in 1966. But could be original Pat.No.(T-top)-types. Impossible to tell without taking the covers off.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Didn't know what year they quit making PAFs.
          Here's a bunch of pics of T-Tops.
          https://www.google.com/search?q=T-to...w=1366&bih=576
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

The bobbin screws, and braid on the lead are wrong. It's a PAF (Phony As F) It doesn't mean they don't sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              I agree, that judging by the amount of solder they have been donked with.
              I would also like to see pictures of the front side, and pics of the control cavity!
              I'm not into vintage, and my answer would be if they sound good, then play the hell out of them!
              T

I never expected PAFs on a 66. I just need to know whether either are actual Gibsons , factory original. I was sold the guitar with the claim that pickups and pote are original ,..and paid the price on that assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                The bobbin screws, and braid on the lead are wrong. It's a PAF (Phony As F) It doesn't mean they don't sound good.
                Oh yes, 3-strand braiding, definitely not original. Missed that one (weak eyes). The brass screws I noticed, but while not typical for T-Tops, I wasn't sure about possible exceptions. I never saw them in T-Tops but brass bobbin screws were certainly used in pre-T-Top Pat.Nos until 64/65. But they look too shiny as well.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by audiorep2 View Post
                  I never expected PAFs on a 66. I just need to know whether either are actual Gibsons , factory original. I was sold the guitar with the claim that pickups and pote are original ,..and paid the price on that assumption.
                  No way for me to tell you that from here.
                  Others may know.
                  We build and rewind pickups in this forum area.
                  Relic guitars is not this forums area of expertise, for sure.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

I sent audiorep2 here from another forum, on the assumption that those who do rewind or design pickups would have at least some passing authoritative knowledge about what the visual features might be that provide clues.

Blame me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                      I sent audiorep2 here from another forum, on the assumption that those who do rewind or design pickups would have at least some passing authoritative knowledge about what the visual features might be that provide clues.

Blame me.
                      No blame.
                      Maybe he can post some more pics of the guitar, and front of the pickups.
                      I would also like to see pics of the control cavity.
                      The neck pickup baseplate with the wide rounded corners, looks like the baseplates that adfx sold.
                      I got some of those a few years back, and I complained about the wide corners.
                      So, I doubt the pickups are original.
                      I would check the guitar real close, who knows, it may not be legit either.

T
                      Terry

Comment

FWIW, I found this a few years back talking a bit about PAF humbucker history.

https://musicalilluminism.wordpress....l-pickup-tech/
                        Take Care,

Jim. . .
                        VA3DEF

Comment

A terrific read, Jim. Thanks for that.

Comment

He could send them to me, and I volunteer to dissect them for him!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                              FWIW, I found this a few years back talking a bit about PAF humbucker history.

https://musicalilluminism.wordpress....l-pickup-tech/
                              There are several of these PAF history articles. I always wonder how much of the content is first hand experience and how much is just copied from unverified sources.

I especially disagree with some of the magnet info given in the link above.
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X