Salvaging bowed neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvaging bowed neck?

Picked up a Fender strat style neck for cheap that was labeled as "broken truss rod". The truss rod actually works, but the neck has considerable foreward bow even with no strings on it (about 0.050" in the middle of the neck). With the truss rod really tight I can just get it to straight with no strings. Wondering if this neck can be saved. Put it on the the railing above my shower for now to try to get a little steam to see if that releases it a bit, I could rig up a steambox for it as well. Next step I guess would be a neck press?

FWIW, this neck is a little odd, it just says "Fender" on it with nothing else on the headstock. Numbers stamped on the heel look like regular Fender date codes (can't really make them out though). The internet tells me that Fender did sell replacement necks at some point that meet this description, guess it could be counterfeit too.

TIA,
    Greg

I had a Tokai TST-62 with a badly bowed neck. Not having a neck press, I removed it and looswned the truss rod. Then I placed it between two sturdy shelves and hung about 40lbs ow weight from the middle of the neck for about a week. Then, while still hanging the weight from it, I tightened the truss rod. It was a good bit better, so I loosemed it again & gave it a few more days & tightened again. All good. A flat shim for the neck pocket & I was in business.

I only spent $99 for it, so I wasn't gonna put TOO much thought into it...

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Great job Justin.
      Rminds me of the cliche.
      "Don't Force it, Get a Bigger Hammer"
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Sometimes the TR nut gets jammed at the end of the threaded part of the truss rod. In these cases some extra washers between and a little vaseline may help.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Should have mentioned that I did remove the TR nut and added an aluminum spacer since it seemed like it was running out of threads, so I don't think it is that.

Comment

That's exactly what I do. Our older son is about 5 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than me, and also works out. So if I can't budge/lift/open it, I also get a bigger Hammer.

Did you even THINK I could resist that?

Comment

Put it on the the railing above my shower for now to try to get a little steam to see if that releases it a bit, I could rig up a steambox for it as well. Next step I guess would be a neck press.
              Heat/steam treatment only has a chance with a lam rosewood/maple cap, not with one-piece maple necks.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-23-2018, 10:37 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                Heat/steam treatment only has a chance with a lam rosewood cap, not on pure maple necks.
                This one is rosewood fretboard and truss rod slot on the back.

Comment

I would try taking the nut right off, and then set the neck up on blocks, one under the heel and one under the nut/ first fret area. Use a clamp in the middle to pull the neck into the shape you want. Go slowly, take a few days if you have time and then leave it to settle for a few days and then put the nut back on. I'd stay away from heat and steam for now.

Andy

I just noticed, this is pretty much the same as Justin's method, but maybe a bit more controlled.

Comment

I believe the reason heat/steam works with a glued on fretboard neck is that it loosens the glue while it is clamped, and when it cools, the glue helps hold it there.
                    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Regarding the steam, heat weight methods,.. They've worked for years. Lots of shops doing it that way. But I've known a few necks treated that way which slowly morph back to their prowed shape. The most sure fix would be to pull the frets, plane the fingerboard level and then install new frets. A lot of work to be sure. But you can then be sure.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                      X