Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Circuit of the Day #1

Here's a puzzle.

As seen in a ADA MP-1 MIDI controlled preamp is this odd arrangement. The opamp with pins 1,2 & 3 serves to linearize the LDR U5, but what does U9 section with pins 5,6 & 7 do? As far as I can see it's output is stuck low, always. Doesn't make much sense, or does it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MCOD#1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	874040
    Last edited by nickb; 10-23-2018, 10:21 PM.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

My guess is that it does nothing and is just an unused section of the IC. Perhaps the designer configured it that way to keep it from oscillating or otherwise misbehaving.
    Keep learning. Never give up.

Comment

Power on mute/soft start?
      Cheers,
      Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Gingertube View Post
        Power on mute/soft start?
        Cheers,
        Ian
        I'm thinking this way with the feedback to the positive input providing hysteresis.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I'd go along with that too ^^^^^^^. The positive control voltage input looks like it would drive U3A negative, turning off the diode in the VacTEC. Odd circuit.....
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

intended as a current source?

Comment

It looks like a negative impedance converter to me, but I don't understand what function it provides.

Think of it as giving R93 a negative resistance. Without that op-amp block, if we raise the voltage at the right end of R93, then current would flow to the left as expected. But with the the circuit, raising the voltage at the right end of R93 causes current to flow to the right, as though R93 had negative resistance. Obviously, this can be accomplished only by raising the voltage at the left end of R93 even more. (There was a time when I could have explained how it works. Today I'll ask you to use Google, but I remember that that's what it does.)

Anyway, I notice that the circuit not only drives the left end of R93, but also runs up to U5 which is some kind of optoisolator? Or maybe U5 is driving it? I don't know, but it looks like a negative impedance converter to me.

Comment

Thanks for all the clever ideas

I think the award goes to Tony Bones. I believe the purpose is to ensure that the LED is switched fully OFF when the control input gets high enough. Without Tony's suggestion, I doubt I'd ever have seen it.

PS: Tony take your award

Click image for larger version

Name:	MCOD_Wiz_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	851923
                Last edited by nickb; 10-24-2018, 06:14 PM. Reason: PS
                Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                  PS: Tony take your award

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50895[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks for the hat!

Comment

Working...
                  X