Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6v6 stereo power amp build . Cathode or negative grid bias?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6v6 stereo power amp build . Cathode or negative grid bias?

Hi.
    I have been asked to modify and finish off a kit amp.
    Originally​ it had cathode bias . I have ripped just about everything out as it was a rats nest..

My question
    Should I stick to this or go down the route of negative grid bias..?

I don't have a bias tap on the tx. But I should be ok making a circuit of the ac out . Looking at other amp circuits . It's possible.
    Arbutt

Both methods can sound good, no problem there. One big factor in deciding which way to go, how easy is it for the output tubes and their circuitry to shed heat? If your chassis is small, perhaps has a cage over it for safety, might be the better choice to go fixed-bias. With bias set so crossover distortion appears just as the amp goes into clipping, or just a pinch beyond, the amount of heat produced will certainly be less than cathode bias operation. You will likely have a noticeable increase in measured power with fixed bias as well. (Although that increase may be barely noticeable to the ears, if at all.) OTOH if there's plenty of space & ventilation, and you don't especially need every last watt of audio power, there's no harm in leaving the circuit cathode biased.
    Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 10-24-2018, 02:45 PM.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

For small amps I prefer cathode bias as:
      a) I'm lazy
      b) I want them to give up the goods at lower volume/power

Now if clean headroom is important to you then fixed all the way.

Comment

The chassis is small but not covered . I was thinking that if I made it 4 pot variable bias it can be tweaked when new tubes .
        Just my thought in my in experience head

Comment

if its for music reproduction i'd go fixed bias(and feedback),for instruments cathode bias.

Comment

Fixed bias = clean & crisp

Cathode bias = smooth & bluesy
            ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Think I'll go fixed bias. He's an old guy. And likes all music inc classical.
              Many thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Working...
              X