Flat screen TV parts salvage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat screen TV parts salvage?

There are a bunch of broken (and vandalized) flat screen TVs, computer monitors and modern CRT TVs on curbs in my neighborhood. Are there any parts worth salvaging? (I may do my part to beautify the neighborhood and pick them up and drop them off at the local electronics recycling place.)

Pick up a couple and find out. Maybe a power cord. Much of that stuff snaps together these days, but I used to tear down old VCRs for fun, and I got a great collection of metric screws doing that.

I did save some small diameter shielded cables from VCRs and tape decks. Thin stuff like from the heads to the electronics. Useful inside amps sometimes.

I really wouldn't want to harvest caps and resistors. I kept a couple dead cassette deck main boards in my pile because EEEEEEVEEEERRRRYYY now and then I found a transistor on them that I just couldn't quite sub from my parts stock.

I used to save a control panel or two to harvest the tiny tactile push switches. But since I can buy new ones for 20 cents, I don't bother with them.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
      There are a bunch of broken (and vandalized) flat screen TVs, computer monitors and modern CRT TVs on curbs in my neighborhood. Are there any parts worth salvaging? (I may do my part to beautify the neighborhood and pick them up and drop them off at the local electronics recycling place.)
      Even if there aren't parts you can use, what you can gain from it are skills. Unsoldering components, picking component numbers off Ic's and looking up datasheets to see what they do. Just understand you will end up with a lot of trash for just a few circuit boards. I did it for a while.
      You want components to play with start looking for organs in your area. Usually free sometimes tube sometimes not but always lots of switch and plenty to play with.
      nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
      X