X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Itīs in full production and datasheet suggests multiple cool uses
    http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/261/Piezo...ide-277411.pdf

They donīt sell small quantities or send free samples but offer "development kits":
    Yes, that is the 2008 catalog from the company I'm talking about. As I said, they used to sell small quantities, but don't any more. For a pickup manufacturer, it would be no big deal to drop a few hundred bucks for a few rolls of the film; for a hobbyist who wants to make one or two pickups, that's not very cost effective. I don't recall what the development kit costs- but obviously, you end up paying for stuff you know you'll never use.

Regards,
    Mr. Cheapskate
    Last edited by rjb; 10-29-2018, 02:32 PM. Reason: made more verbose
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I guess we got suckered again....
      Sure, but in this case it served as a crystallizing point for quite a few useful and interesting ideas, and, main point, we didnīt get smashed to pulp with endless links and arguments about trump-reptilian-illuminati-MSM-Putin-Alex_jones-social_justice-immigrants-gun_control-you_are_all_fools stuff for which I am grateful.

I would love to know whether our Artistic Dr. pulled the same stint at other Forums such as DIYaudio, etc.

And would doubly love to read answers if by mistake she posted in hairy headbanger sites such as "my les paul", or "the marshall forum".
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Reader View Post
        Lots of interesting info in this thread but I'm thinking that the OP's real intention was the posting of click bait.
        Speaking of clicking, has anyone checked out any of the OP's videos of past projects?
        This isn't the first time some "artsy type" has come to the Music Electronics Forum soliciting suggestions.
        After all, musicians are supposed to be creative. AFAIK, more rock stars have gone to art school than to Julliard.
        Until the OP starts hyping absurd hoaxes and being argumentative, I would give her a pass.
        -rb
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
          Regards,
          Mr. Cheapskate
          That makes two of us.

Just curious, where in the World is?:
          Just south of Bawlmer, Merlin
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Just curious, where in the World is?:
            Just south of Baltimore, Maryland. Its a regional accent thing, Hon.
            -rb
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Local accent really.

My mom pronounced it exactly like that. She was from the Blue Ridge, just west of Bawlmer.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Local accent really.
                What's the difference between a local accent and a regional accent? Does regional imply a larger area? Around here, there are even neighborhood accents.

-rb
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Regional would be a wider area, yes. North to Phila and they no longer say it, and once you get to Washington, it is gone. Nothing official. I consider central MAryland a local thing. regional to me would be Penna/Md/Del/NVa. Although I guess it matters what you describe. I listen for the eastern "o" as a tell, and that happens from Carolina through NJ. But that footprint is not the same as other speech paterns of the area.

Listening to the recent Kavanaugh hearings, his speech is closer to Washington than to Baltimore. But the two are close.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks.
                    I had thought it was more of a British thing, given that Balmoral Castle actually exists and .... "Merlin" is even more British by definition
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks.
                      I had thought it was more of a British thing, given that Balmoral Castle actually exists and .... "Merlin" is even more British by definition
                      Funny. That was my assumption too. I guess you don't "get it" if you haven't heard it.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Just a couple related and possibly interesting links.
                        Some do really build Electronics stuff there

https://www.meetup.com/Womens-Electronics-Workshop

this one looks exceptionally challenging:

I had expected most everything would be like this, joining knitting to what seems to be a finger position sensor (piezo film???):

illuminated pot sliders equalizing "the sound of the sea"?

donīt be surprised by the presence of bald heads and ... ugh! ..... beards!!!

All that is asked from members is that they:

If you want to build circuits and you identify as female, come solder with us!
                        so I guess even I have a chance to join, since they will obviously disregard such minor irrelevant details and instead accept just what I say.
                        Hey, maybe even Enzo could join!!!
                        Another sacrifice in the altar of the Political Correctness Goddess.

Of course, I just mention this because organizers/leaders are:
                        https://www.meetup.com/Womens-Electr...rs/?op=leaders

which includes our friend:
                        https://secure.meetupstatic.com/phot...259406710.jpeg
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

When I read what xtine333 was asking for I knew Juan would step up. I don't have expertise in the area of speakers, wearable or otherwise. But I looked her up and found that shes into making wearable electronics interactive with dance. She's done a lot of work with light already. I don't know how much interactive sound she's done yet, but I thought...

What about placing those antenna type theremins around the dance space. And then I wondered if the effect could be enhanced by wearing fabric with copper woven into it like those Copper John's compression sleeves. Not a wearable speaker, but certainly audio/dance interactive.
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

donīt be surprised by the presence of bald heads and ... ugh! ..... beards!!!

All that is asked from members is that they:

"If you want to build circuits and you identify as female, come solder with us! "

so I guess even I have a chance to join, since they will obviously disregard such minor irrelevant details and instead accept just what I say.
                            Hey, maybe even Enzo could join!!!
                            Another sacrifice in the altar of the Political Correctness Goddess.

They appear to be cross-posting (and hosting) events with other groups that open to all the public, such as 'Solder, Stitch & Code' group, which is a separate entity. I would guess that the picture in question was from one of those other meetups.
                            In fact, you can see that photo scrolling down this page, and it is for the 'Solder' group, not the 'Women's Electronics Workshop' group:
                            https://www.meetup.com/Solder-Stitch-And-Code/

So just some innocent cross-posting going on here.
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

And getting back to the topic at hand, I guess what one considers 'wearable' factors in to the equation.
                              Something like this would lend itself nicely to some hartke-esque tones:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tin_man.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	851947
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                                And getting back to the topic at hand, I guess what one considers 'wearable' factors in to the equation.
                                Something like this would lend itself nicely to some hartke-esque tones:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50931[/ATTACH]
                                Oh, wait! I think I've seen Laurie Anderson in that... no, David Bowie? Klaus Nomi?
                                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X