RCA 6V6 loose and making noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCA 6V6 loose and making noise

A customer just bought a RCA full tube set out of a 64 Deluxe Reverb. While biasing them, I noticed one of the 6V6s wouldn't settle down. Also, if I wiggled it the current would jump up and it made noise through the speaker. I see one pin tip is not sealed with solder like the others. Is it OK to try to flow some solder in there in hopes there is a bad connection? There is some movement between the glass and the base on both tubes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	874050
    Last edited by Randall; 10-26-2018, 01:47 AM.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    Is it OK to try to flow some solder in there in hopes there is a bad connection? There is some movement between the glass and the base on both tubes.
    Yes, deafinitely. Doesn't always work, but it's worth a try re soldering base pins. On loose bases, a number of adhesives have been recommended. I use a little epoxy, dabbed into the gap between glass & plastic base with the tip of a toothpick. No need to completely fill the gap. 3 or 4 spots, spaced more or less evenly around the base/glass gap, works fine. I'm sure other suggestions will follow.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

It worked, problem solved. It almost looked like it had never been soldered, surprized it ever worked reliably. I finished with a little bead of Gorilla Glue clear, I am pleased with the results. A pair of matched 1964 RCAs saved. My customer, who just went on a $700 tube spree while on tour will be pleased as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
        It worked, problem solved. It almost looked like it had never been soldered, surprized it ever worked reliably. I finished with a little bead of Gorilla Glue clear, I am pleased with the results. A pair of matched 1964 RCAs saved. My customer, who just went on a $700 tube spree while on tour will be pleased as well.
        Good on ya Randall! You wonder how many tubes that could have been saved, wind up in the rubbish bin.

Gorilla products are getting popular, some here have mentioned them, but I have yet to go shopping in the gorilla zone. Maybe it's about time I did.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          Good on ya Randall! You wonder how many tubes that could have been saved, wind up in the rubbish bin.

Gorilla products are getting popular, some here have mentioned them, but I have yet to go shopping in the gorilla zone. Maybe it's about time I did.
          Gorilla duct tape (or Duck tape if you're old school) is about the most durable of it's type on the market. I haven't come across something it can't "repair"

But I have to wonder about about using one of their glue products for a tube base. My concern would heat and it's eventual affect on the flexibility of the adhesive. Unless a product is specifically designed for such things you pretty much count on failure sooner or later.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I run into that often keeping the rental inventory running. As you said, doesn't always work, but sure is nice to restore the 6th KT-88 in a sextet that wasn't lighting up due to bad solder joint inside one of the heater pins. I hadn't thought about the toothpick shims to tighten up the base to the bottle fit. I like that!!
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

As it turns out, the tube is still defective. Soldering cured the nasty noise when slightly wiggling the tube, but it still won't settle down on idle. It will jump 4 -5 mA if I tap it lightly, and sometimes throw my meter off scale with a pop if I clank the base with a tweaker. Seems like it has an internal short that my tester isn't picking up. It's gotta go, I don't trust it. Sad. I would have tried to get a refund, but this customer is flush from a 3 month world tour and can't be bothered!

Comment

Working...
              X