Deluxe Reverb Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deluxe Reverb Syndrome

I've been noticing a pattern. Lots of guitarists buy Deluxe Reverbs for the size and weight, but then complain that it "doesn't have enough clean headroom," especially at lower frequencies, when, in fact it is putting out full rated power.

What do you suggest to players who get the DR, but then want it to do things it wasn't really designed to do?

To me, the DR seems like the Swiss Army Knife of amps. It does a lot of things pretty well in a small package, but has certain definite limitations. Owners seem disinclined to accept that their amp is working as it should and seem to think that there's some secret way to turn a 22W amp into a 40W or 85W amp. But they sold their Twin Reverb because it was "too heavy."

Itīs necessary to know what one needs (guitars, style, group composition, stages, monitoring systems, etc). There are guitarists who can not play with less than 50 watts while others can play with 5 watts. I have a customer who plays with a 1.3 watt one (the absolute record)

Comment

Wasn't boogie mkI supposed to be the answer to that question?
      Not for the weight issue though.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well for any that are open to alterations you could always suggest a more efficient speaker. That's about the biggest bang you can get.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Enter the HR Deluxe.

Comment

I'd vote for that if I'd ever heard one I liked.
            Maybe it's the reverb?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Incorporate the cost of roadie with whatever amp gets you that sparkle?
              nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Should be a whole boatload of 50 watt'ish amps similar size to the Deluxe, no? I did a quick internet scan and found 6.02 x 10^23 or so amp builders. Id find someone to build me a Pro or Vibrolux chassis in a 1 x 12 cabinet, or a 'head' style box, for a couple grand, that I could put on a smaller, lighter cabinet.
                The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

The obvious answer is to stick a mic on it. Even a little in the mix with a small(ish) PA it will fill the room better. It doesn’t have to be blaring out of the PA. A compressor can also give you more clean headroom.

Comment

In my book the most versatile (as in: play practically anywhere from bedroom to standard Club) is a 2 x 6L6/EL34 or 4 x EL84 amp (notice I donīt even *mention* Watts) or 65/80W|SS amp, driving a 12" Guitar speaker sporting 38 or 44 mm voice coil, 35/40 oz or heavier magnet.
                    Notice I donīt even mention Brand, it may be any decent speaker from Eminence/Celestion/WGS/Jensen/Bugera/Wharfedale/Peavey and a precondition is that the amp section does not *need* to overdrive its power stage for good or at least acceptable distortion/sustain/response/whatever.
                    A deluxe is a killer amp, no doubt about it, but like all power amp distortion amps, itīs a one trick (one volume) amp, not exactly versatile.
                    Same as Tiny Terror, AC30, Twin Reverb, Plexi, etc. ; excellent sound and perfect volume only in one place; anywhere else they are either too loud or too weak.
                    I am sick of seeing Musicians struggling with 15W amps besides a loud drummer or way too loud 60 to 100W ones which then need pedals.

Deluxe being sort of halfway (on a Log scale of course) is quite versatile ... but is still plagued by the "one output volume" curse.

And yes, one solution might be a custom built "2 bottle" amp in a Deluxe sized cabinet and driving a *good* 12 " speaker , add Weber 12F150 to the list.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                    X