No announcement yet.

Capacitors ripple current question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To measure ripple current, insert a 1 Ohm resistor between the minus contact of the cap and ground and measure AC RMS voltage across the resistor.

Of course the resistor could be connected to the positive terminal of the cap as well. In this case all existing wires connected to the plus terminal have to be lifted and connected to the top of the resistor to force all cap currents through the series resistor.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-03-2018, 01:24 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
      How can be determined/estimated in a very simple way the ripple current performance for a filter capacitor, please ? I have to replace screen grids filter caps in series battery into a Sound City PA 100 and I just have two small FT rated at 0.2 A ripple current.This is ridiculous small relative to originals (big cans rated at half an Amp).Can I use it safe, please? Thanks
      Here's quick and dirty method. There is a resistor that feeds the screen filter caps. Measure the RMS voltage 'Vin' on the OPT center tap that is on one side of this. We'll assume that this is a sine wave, it makes little difference to the result. The ac current through the filter resistor R and thus the filter caps C is

Iripple = Vin/ sqrt[R^2 + (1/2/3.14/f/C)^2]

For the Sound City R=100, C=16uF, F=100Hz and I'll guess Vin= 10Vrms

the ripple current is 5/(100^2 + (1/2/3.14/16uf)^2) = 10/141 = 70mA rms.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I love simple solutions to complex problems.

Edit: this goes both to Helmholtz and Nick B
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

If you were wanting to make sure the screen cap ripple rating was going to survive what the tubes could just survive, you could increase the screen power dissipation from 425Vx30mA = 13W, up to a magically uniform 32W level (8W per tube), and use PSUD2 to indicate the capacitor rms ripple at 100/120Hz.

Comment

Thank You gents.
            JMF, I will put a circuit as soon I can do the measurements. Till then a simple sketch of power supply with grounding points to chassis as looks in mine. Plate voltage 480-490v around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_225055.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	852006

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_143136.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	852009
            Last edited by catalin gramada; 11-05-2018, 07:09 AM.
            "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

I ordered FT 2x32uF rated at 0.4A max ripple. There are not so dramatic size differences in between. Originals are just around half an inch longer. I had to peel it off to keep it grounded in circuit as in original.

Now understand what "military style" means - the wires are not hooked but knotted, really pain to remove it.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by catalin gramada; 11-06-2018, 06:45 PM.
              "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

I ordered FT 2x32uF rated at 0.4mA max ripple. There are not so dramatic differences in between. Originals are just around half an inch longer. I had to peel it off to keep it grounded in circuit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51017[/ATTACH]
                I hope you meant to write "0.4A max ripple"
                Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

And here the promised schematic. Not mine,but founded one here by kind of Steve L.Thanks Steve.

Sound City PA 100 Schematic (2).pdf

Except bigger 500-490v voltage in mine everything is identical. It is quiet. Definitely a choke and little more filtering can make it dead.

Comment

Except bigger 500-490v voltage in mine everything is identical. It is quiet. Definitely a choke and little more filtering can make it dead.
                    The ripple current of the screen node cap will be much lower after a series choke. A 0.2A rated cap will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X