Fuse before switch or vice versa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
    I've seen it consistently wired both ways, so I tried to reason out likely shock scenarios (and apparently I did it wrongly). I would have thought that do to the spring action in most panel mount holders, the greatest risk seemed to be contacting a hot ring during the act of installing or removing an intact fuse?
    Same here, I've always wired hot to tip for the same reason, fortunately fuse holders are 'touchproof' these days.

Comment

That's the way I was taught as well.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I tried to find an IEC inlet receptacle with integrated fuse and line Voltage selection (120/240) and it was a mind numbing task. Too many to choose from. Poor descriptions online, you have to download the data sheet before you can figure out it won't work.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
          I tried to find an IEC inlet receptacle with integrated fuse and line Voltage selection (120/240) and it was a mind numbing task. Too many to choose from. Poor descriptions online, you have to download the data sheet before you can figure out it won't work.
          The ones that 'flip over' the fuse holder in the IEC to select the voltage almost guarantee user problems. Poorly labelled and very easy to put in wrong.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Those are convenient for the OEM, not the user. One fuse holder assembly works for the entire world.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X