Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: poly-coated wire connection?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 721/32
    Given: 690/14
    Now I think we are getting somewhere?
    Rather than talking about tinning the wire we should be talking about soldering irons, and quality solder.
    Solder must be the main issue here.
    If you are trying to use lead free solder then you need to stop, and buy some good old Kester 44.
    Because soldering a 42 awg poly wire to an eyelet should be very easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000015-a-solder.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	51600

Thanks for you pictures.
    Looks like you're enjoying your hobby!
    T

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by big_teee; 12-20-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    It's only Rock and Roll, but I like it!

Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 31/1
    Given: 22/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Slight Return View Post
    @Dolmetscher007
    The tensioner I use is Rob's idea from Cavalier Pickups, and uses an 8" hemostat (can be found on eBay for cheap),
    This is an awesome post! Thanks man! I am about to shoot out the door, so I will have to read it all in an hour or two when I get home and settled. But I did want to say... "uses an 8" hemostat (can be found on eBay for cheap)..." as if... bro! I'm a former 1990's stoner kid. You think I don't have at least one pair of hemo's lying in a drawer somewhere? Snoochie Poochies!!!

Ha ha ha!!!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 756/100
    Given: 110/33
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolmetscher007 View Post
    This is an awesome post! Thanks man! I am about to shoot out the door, so I will have to read it all in an hour or two when I get home and settled. But I did want to say... "uses an 8" hemostat (can be found on eBay for cheap)..." as if... bro! I'm a former 1990's stoner kid. You think I don't have at least one pair of hemo's lying in a drawer somewhere? Snoochie Poochies!!!

Ha ha ha!!!!
    Another place to check are the hospitals or dental offices, they have to get rid of them after so much use. And they still have plenty of life left for us. I've gotten pic, hemostats straight, long , curved, and long curved.
    nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 8/0
    Yep...enjoyment is what it's all about! If you ain't havin' fun then there's no point.

Qualitek solder (the normal kind that has lead in it, not the lead-free) is my favorite, which I get at a local electronics store. My favorite flux is Nokorode. I use a Weller digital soldering iron for all my pickup work. I also highly recommend one of the wire-type Solder cleaners, such as this: (no affiliation at all with this link, just sharing for convenience)

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-599B-02...solder+cleaner

It is simply unparalleled for cleaning your iron tip and makes the whole process more fun and easy. For years I used a damp sponge and the wire type cleaners are much easier to use, and IMO, more effective.

All of these things absolutely make a difference. I'm aware that solder has rosin in it, and you don't "need" flux, but I ALWAYS get cleaner and more shiny, professional looking joints on all my soldering when I apply a little flux. Dabbing a tiny amount onto a joint with a toothpick is all you need to do. You need very little. But I use it on every single joint I make for guitar work, including making pickups.

The Engineer Solder Sucker (made in Japan) is also an awesome tool, easy to clean, and makes cleanup a breeze. Great video on how to care for this product here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoTkZJiMhDE

I've used the Engineer to desolder joints on many pickups before rewinds. It does a great job and makes the whole process fun, unlike using braided wire to desolder. To each his own, but once I got the Engineer, I never looked back.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Yep...enjoyment is what it's all about! If you ain't havin' fun then there's no point.

Qualitek solder (the normal kind that has lead in it, not the lead-free) is my favorite, which I get at a local electronics store. My favorite flux is Nokorode. I use a Weller digital soldering iron for all my pickup work. I also highly recommend one of the wire-type Solder cleaners, such as this: (no affiliation at all with this link, just sharing for convenience)

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-599B-02...solder+cleaner

It is simply unparalleled for cleaning your iron tip and makes the whole process more fun and easy. For years I used a damp sponge and the wire type cleaners are much easier to use, and IMO, more effective.

All of these things absolutely make a difference. I'm aware that solder has rosin in it, and you don't "need" flux, but I ALWAYS get cleaner and more shiny, professional looking joints on all my soldering when I apply a little flux. Dabbing a tiny amount onto a joint with a toothpick is all you need to do. You need very little. But I use it on every single joint I make for guitar work, including making pickups.

The Engineer Solder Sucker (made in Japan) is also an awesome tool, easy to clean, and makes cleanup a breeze. Great video on how to care for this product here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoTkZJiMhDE

I've used the Engineer to desolder joints on many pickups before rewinds. It does a great job and makes the whole process fun, unlike using braided wire to desolder. To each his own, but once I got the Engineer, I never looked back.
    I also use the wire cleaner. But I go to DollarTree and get a 3 pack of copper pot scrubbers and cram them in the holder, Periodically take them out shake the solder out and put it in the solder pot and scrape the slag off.

I also have an Engineer solder sucker. I love the one hand operation but it seems best only on PCB work for me. If doing point to point soldering and Edsyn Soldapullit is what I use pulls more solder gets clogged less. I have never have any luck with solder braid.

nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 8/0
    Very cool! I'll have to check that sucker out. As well as the copper pot scrubbers at the Dollar Tree. Always up for new tools, especially if they work better than what I'm currently using. The Engineer I find does get clogged rather quickly when sucking larger amounts of solder -- fantastic for PCB work, but on pickups it does require much more frequent cleaning.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Very cool! I'll have to check that sucker out. As well as the copper pot scrubbers at the Dollar Tree. Always up for new tools, especially if they work better than what I'm currently using. The Engineer I find does get clogged rather quickly when sucking larger amounts of solder -- fantastic for PCB work, but on pickups it does require much more frequent cleaning.
    This is the one http://www.edsyn.com/product/DS017.html
    nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 721/32
    Given: 690/14
    I also have the soldapult.
    Mine is probably 30 years and came from my Telecom job.
    I added bigger O--rings inside to give it a bit more oomph.
    A great tool.

It's only Rock and Roll, but I like it!

Terry

Thread Information