Something Different in a Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already have the two humbuckers made.
    The bridge is a hybrid pickup with one blade, and one slug bobbin.
    It will have a nickel no holes cover on it.
    The neck will be a double slug coil with a no holes cover.
    I will try A8 bar magnets in those two full sized humbuckers, so the pickups can be mounted a bit lower.
    The Center strat sized rail will be ceramic, with chrome blades.
    There are no alnico magnts available for the strat rails.
    The rails have enough steel to mellow the ceramic.
    After trying that combo, If I don't like the sound, I'll tear them up and change it.
    Will be an interesting experiment.
    Thanks for all the input guys!
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 11-09-2018, 09:33 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

how about something really different?

true temper frets! A tad spendy though...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Temper...CF5x:rk:4:pf:0
      Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	852056
      description includes one of the better explanations of the reason for these, now coming out of a Texas company allied to the Swedish inventor! The odd shapes are achieved by casting the fret metal, so I guess no stainless steel before some breakthrough in metal 3D printing.

original patent here: https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...114076A1&KC=A1

Comment

I have enough trouble getting ideal position with straight frets!. What's string bending like with those things? I just can't get behind the idea. Different string gauges, tensions, action set up and even nut height will all affect the accuracy of the fret position. Looking at those frets I can't imagine they're actually accurate. Look at the irregularity of the first fret alone as it relates to the uncompensated nut! You can pretty much toss accurate first position chords out the window. Have you ever played first position chords where you felt the intonation was off by even nearly the amount of compensation in those frets? And why are they so wildly wiggly! Why not a smooth line between the calculated ideal for each string? I've never seen a compensated nut that had to be that irregular.
        Last edited by Chuck H; 11-12-2018, 01:46 PM.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
          You already have a blower switch?
          Hey Jason, a blower switch & a kill switch are different. The Blower basically makes the guitar a single bridge pickup wired straight to the output jack. A Kill switch mutes the output of the instrument instantly. This allows for rapid on-off transitions, like a Mega-Tremolo. As fast as your finger can hit a pinball machine button is as fast as you can turn your guitar on and off.

Best user I know is Buckethead. I'll be back to update with links.

Justin

Buckethead, Viva Voltron Live:
          https://youtu.be/dr92pzltdcM
          And, something a little more "Buckethead," Smooth Criminal & Space Noises. Cue to 2:50 for kill switch goofiness or just enjoy the whole thing.
          https://youtu.be/rmR3kp1pYt0
          Last edited by Justin Thomas; 11-12-2018, 10:23 AM.
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
          X