Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill button Switches

School me on kill buttons.
    I want to put one on a strat pickguard between the Master Volume and Master Tone.
    Not sure what diameter button I would need to go in regular Pot type strat hole.
    Don't want any led, just a plain spring loded button.
    I think they just interrupt the output?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

While I'd have to look at what's available in push-push SPDT switches, I use a small SPDT toggle switch on my Fender Precision, parked below the Tone Control for muting the instrument. I have it wired across the phone jack, so muting shorts the output of the instrument, grounds the input to the amp to go silent. You might look in a C & K master catalog, or an Alco Switch catalog to see what they have. If memory serves, they use a variation of the same mechanism used on the minature toggle switches, but the button / shaft would be sticking out, so also look for a collar bushing so the button/shaft are protected. Usually mounts in a 1/4" dia hole.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Teee, are you looking for more of a Buckethead-style kill switch? Generally those are pinball machine parts. I don't know what sizes are available, but part of the joy of a Fender is you don't have to butcher an original pickguard to install one.

I'd get a new guard, widen the hole, put in the switch.

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Yes the bucket head, John 5 push button switch is what I'm after.
        When pushed, do we want the output to open or to ground?
        N/O, or N/C ?
        Going to put this on the HSH Warmoth blue pearl Pickguard, I haven't purchased yet!
        I have most of the parts, still need to get the chrome P/U covers, push button switch and the pickguard.
        I will put in the blue strat partscaster I have.
        **Looks like you use a N/O
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-07 11-52-46.png
Views:	1
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	852022
        Last edited by big_teee; 11-07-2018, 04:53 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

John 5 is about the best with it.
          Just something to put on a guitar that's made to be different.
          Here he is with a demo.

Terry

Comment

I'd imagine you want the output silenced when pushed, else no noise when it's not! I don't know what your abbreviations mean, but you'll figure it out. I bet finding a good-quality switch will be the worst of it...

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

The "old school" way of doing it is to turn one pickup's volume control all the way down, and then use the pickup selector to rapidly switch between the 'on' and 'off' pickups (works best with a Gibson style toggle switch).
              -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Looks like you want to ground the output, like turning off a grounded volume control.
                http://guitarwiring.blogspot.com/201...ul-wiring.html
                That would require a NO normally open arcade type button switch.
                T
                Click image for larger version

Name:	bucketheadwiring.png
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	852025
                Last edited by big_teee; 11-07-2018, 10:50 PM.
                Terry

Comment

I thought about adding this s feature to a guitar once. I really don't like that the report is on the button release rather than the push. That would take more practice to get use to than if the report was on the push. Think about it. Push = pick. Easy peazy. BUT!!! What then when you release and now your guitar is silent? Unless you hold the button full time while playing that might be a problem So I considered how to have both and I searched Mouser. You can get (on)-off-on toggle switches. That means from the center position you can flip the switch up (that's the direction "I" would choose) and the guitar would be "on". Or you could push the switch down and the guitar would be on until the switch was released. At which time the switch returns to the "off" position. In one direction the switch has no snap and is momentary and the other direction snaps on and holds. So thumbing the switch down isn't unlike down stroke picking. And flipping the switch up to hold wouldn't be a big deal. Even timing wise I think I could get use to that better than having the report on the lift motion for a button. Plus you get a holding "off" option. Not that it's really useful, but it might come in handy.

Submitted for your consideration.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

So much easier if it was a footswitch with a momentary switch.
                    nosaj
                    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                      So much easier if it was a footswitch with a momentary switch.
                      nosaj
                      AAAaaahh!!! No way I can move my foot fast enough for the effect I want. I'd probably get a cramp trying and fall over. Not to mention that I'm not always standing when practicing. But... Having it on the floor would leave your right hand free (assuming you're right handed) to do things like play with the volume or pick simultaneously while triggering the manual tremolo effect. Surely some fun and musical techniques could come about.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Just watch some Buckethead... Viva Voltron is pretty good... All done with right hand...

Then again Buckethead is not mortal.

Justin

Comment

Working...
                        X