Thread: Fuse plug with circuit breaker

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 454/100
    Given: 72/32

Fuse plug with circuit breaker

Enzo sent me this with a bunch of other things I bought from him. In the past I'd just visualized a circuit breaker with alligator clips.

I replaced the wires as the insulation was brokern, but thought I'd share what it looked like.,
    nosajClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181110_161535-1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	421.2 KB 
ID:	51048

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 896/5
    Given: 0/0
    Seeberg used to use those fuses with integral caps. That is one of those fuses with a breaker wired in. I haven't used it in years. I still have a bunch of the red cap fuses.

I bet you figured out the other stuff mostly.

The large jones plug with 120v and two bananas for 6vac. That is for Seeburg tube chassis amps.

The dual pot with a molex is for later SS Seeburg amps volume control.

The giant resistor with clip leads - I use that in place of the field coil in electromagnet speakers.

I forget what else I sent.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/0
    I've often wondered why amps didn't have breakers instead of fuses, probably cost.

I recently had a few amps with field coil speakers in for repair, so I made up a resistor with leads to jumper in for testing also.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Seeberg used to use those fuses with integral caps. That is one of those fuses with a breaker wired in. I haven't used it in years. I still have a bunch of the red cap fuses.

I bet you figured out the other stuff mostly.

The large jones plug with 120v and two bananas for 6vac. That is for Seeburg tube chassis amps.

The dual pot with a molex is for later SS Seeburg amps volume control.

The giant resistor with clip leads - I use that in place of the field coil in electromagnet speakers.

I forget what else I sent.
    I did notice that fuse glass was a bit longer than ones currently used.
    There was a samsom wireless kit and and the delay kit you sent
    i can see the resistor coming in handy for sure.
    nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 264/4
    Given: 559/11
    Quote Originally Posted by drewl View Post
    I've often wondered why amps didn't have breakers instead of fuses, probably cost.
    Some did... I thought Traynors & some of the big Ampegs of the late 70s? I remember getting one amp with one; maybe a Music Man? I don't remember...

Justin

"... If an older Boogie and classic Marshall had a (clearly illegitimate) child and you baked it in an oven set to clown shit crazy." - Chuck H. -
    "When receiving a shock I emit a strange loud high pitched girlish squeak." - Alex R -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    Some did... I thought Traynors & some of the big Ampegs of the late 70s? I remember getting one amp with one; maybe a Music Man? I don't remember...

Justin
    Traynors have that circuit breaker a mallory brand I believe. I've got a Bassmaster where the board went conductive so I've g10 replacement that I'll get around to one day.

nosaj

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 293/6
    Given: 272/1
    I'm not sure if this counts, but Heathkit TA-17 heads had a circuit breaker.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Thumbs Up/Down
    I know there was an 11 pin octal size plug, with internal jumpers. That is for Wurlitzer amps, it takes the place of the remote power switch that plugs into the chassis.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    I know there was an 11 pin octal size plug, with internal jumpers. That is for Wurlitzer amps, it takes the place of the remote power switch that plugs into the chassis.
    Yep I saw that too just didn't look inside to see the jumpers. Got it in the jukebox box. Keep them separated from amp stuff or I'll have a mess. Still have a lot of pegboard to put up.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 115/0
    Given: 16/0
    "I've often wondered why amps didn't have breakers instead of fuses, probably cost."

Lab Series amps had them. And since they are a particular size and shape it makes it difficult to replace when they go bad, since they were stopped being made many moons ago.

It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    I don't recall the numbers correctly...

But I had a broken off Labs Series breaker - it is also the power switch - seems to me I found SOME. But if the original was 6A, I found like 5A and 12A. SO I installed the 5A, and tossed the 12A in the bottom. I figured, add an internal fuse and use the 12A as the switch, and the fuse for the protection... if the 5A turned out to be to small.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 184/2
    Given: 88/0
    While being convenient, breakers can be troublesome.

Like when a solid state output section fails and the owner keeps trying to power it up.
    (Sniff, sniff. What's that smell?)

No different than putting in an oversized fuse which you have to hunt down.
    Like I said. A bit too convenient.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/0
    Yeah, good point.
    My parents house, built in 1962 had a fuse panel.

My dad and I replaced it with a breaker panel, upgraded be the service and split up a bunch of the lines to their own breaker.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 943/5
    Given: 963/0
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    I've got a Bassmaster where the board went conductive...
    That makes two of us. The Traynor stuff didn't use the "wax soak" like the SF Fenders did. But I've had the waxed boards in those Fenders go conductive too. IMH(umble)E moisture absorption/adsorption for those black paper boards becoming conductive is not the only cause. I'm shooting into untested territory now, but I think the black pigment (carbon) under high heat, age and high voltage conditions can align to form semi conductive contact between eyelets.

EDIT: Oh, yes, some Traynors have circuit breakers instead of fuses.

"...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 665/15
    Given: 718/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    That makes two of us. The Traynor stuff didn't use the "wax soak" like the SF Fenders did. But I've had the waxed boards in those Fenders go conductive too. IMH(umble)E moisture absorption/adsorption for those black paper boards becoming conductive is not the only cause. I'm shooting into untested territory now, but I think the black pigment (carbon) under high heat, age and high voltage conditions can align to form semi conductive contact between eyelets.

EDIT: Oh, yes, some Traynors have circuit breakers instead of fuses.
    Lots of Fenders built on that black card - and unfortunately also new kits using similar material - you can stick your meter probe wherever you want on the board, and I don't mean on the eyelets, measure voltage everywhere.

Can't say I've seen similar in Traynors, but it isn't impossible I'm sure. Their boards aren't crammed with carbon black, they look grey or tan.

Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 11-12-2018 at 04:41 AM.
    Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    They also used the black stuff. My Bassmaster was a later model and used a black circuit board (and insulator board) so it may have been an era thing.

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 665/15
    Given: 718/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    They also used the black stuff. My Bassmaster was a later model and used a black circuit board (and insulator board) so it may have been an era thing.
    Can't argue with your eyewitness observation Chuck. If anyone has found sneaky-leaky in Traynor's grey or tan boards, I'd like to hear about it.

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Maybe not an era thing. Maybe a random supplier thing. Here's a '69 yba1

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tbcb1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	567.2 KB 
ID:	51067  

Thread Information