terminating unused wiring bundle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
    Hi Leo, that's in teresting. So, do you put copper foil over teh wiring, then some kind of insulation over that? I have a piece of fiberglass board that's thinner than the eyelet/turret board stuff. Can cut a piece of that to keep the copper from shorting something out.
    In one case a bundle of OT wires sprouted up from the chassis, right under the most sensitive point on the circuit board. Perfect setup for ultrasonic oscillation. I made a sandwich, this time out of two slices of fish paper with a layer of copper foil between. Ran a wire from the copper to a chassis ground. No more oscillation. Fargen serial #7, I guess he was still learning.

Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but I think a big bucks booteek builder should really prove his build works, without built-in problems like this, before selling them to customers. Now he's 15 years further along in his career, I hope he's not doing anything like that for the last 14.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Not to derail Mikes thread, but...

Surely anyone selling amps for big bucks (which, btw, doesn't mean big profit ) is testing both the design in general before building AND the individual amp under ALL playing styles and conditions before giving it a pass.?. I've made a dozen amps. Three of which aren't in circulation (two pre production models (Dean Markley has one and I have the other) and the prototype for those(my personal amp). I never let an amp off my bench before it was "right". I could understand getting stressed and needing to deliver a product. But if the extra expense of bewteek gear doesn't cover AT LEAST what I offer then why should the customer spend the money? If I bought a custom amp and it was squealing when I cranked it I would surely feel my off had been pissed on.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        In one case a bundle of OT wires sprouted up from the chassis, right under the most sensitive point on the circuit board. Perfect setup for ultrasonic oscillation. I made a sandwich, this time out of two slices of fish paper with a layer of copper foil between. Ran a wire from the copper to a chassis ground. No more oscillation. Fargen serial #7, I guess he was still learning.

Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but I think a big bucks booteek builder should really prove his build works, without built-in problems like this, before selling them to customers. Now he's 15 years further along in his career, I hope he's not doing anything like that for the last 14.
        Leo not kidding. When they charge that much, they sure shouldn't be doing rank amateur stuff. The name struck a bell, don't know Fargen amps but do you remember the line from Johnny Dangerously?
        The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Not to derail Mikes thread, but...

Surely anyone selling amps for big bucks (which, btw, doesn't mean big profit ) is testing both the design in general before building AND the individual amp under ALL playing styles and conditions before giving it a pass.?. I've made a dozen amps. Three of which aren't in circulation (two pre production models (Dean Markley has one and I have the other) and the prototype for those(my personal amp). I never let an amp off my bench before it was "right". I could understand getting stressed and needing to deliver a product. But if the extra expense of bewteek gear doesn't cover AT LEAST what I offer then why should the customer spend the money? If I bought a custom amp and it was squealing when I cranked it I would surely feel my off had been pissed on.
          Oh man, yeah, true. And what if it was worse, and didn't squeal but digested itself? heh.
          The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

do you remember the line from Johnny Dangerously?
            heh.... reminds me every time

Somewheres about that time my old friend and sometimes customer Jim Weider co-developed an amp with Mr. Fargen. I'm sure it must have sounded fabulous, after a countless back 'n forth across the USA. I heard by the time Jim deemed it acceptable, poor Mr. Fargen was ready to be admitted to the Institute for the Very Very Nervous. Better him than me, I say. Hope he's OK now.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Here's a link to the thread mentioned above about how to wire the secondary to get at least two secondary impedances on a switch.

Link: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=46637
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I remember Benjamin Fargen asking questions on here (Ampage) before he started building amps. It seems like only yesterday but it was over 20 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                  Here's a link to the thread mentioned above about how to wire the secondary to get at least two secondary impedances on a switch.

Link: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=46637
                  Ah Bing!!! Thanks. At least my memory isn't so shot that I didn't remember there was a thread (although I couldnt find it). I have to download and print...

Comment

OK thanks again, I'll take the OT apart and see how much room between the transformer and bell body. Hope there's enough room. Looks like I made it way hard on myself for this build, thought it was going to be easy, breezy. No breezing so far. (Thank God for Jerry Murad and the harmonicats)
                    If it turns out the unused primary / secondary leads won't fit inside the end bell, you could re-route that unused bundle toward the power/SB switch, and around that corner and secure there. 3M offers copper tape (adhesive back), which works well for wrapping / shielding purposes. Heat shrink sleeving over that (with a grounding lead from the copper tape to go to chassis ground) would be a suitable alternative.
                    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                      If it turns out the unused primary / secondary leads won't fit inside the end bell, you could re-route that unused bundle toward the power/SB switch, and around that corner and secure there. 3M offers copper tape (adhesive back), which works well for wrapping / shielding purposes. Heat shrink sleeving over that (with a grounding lead from the copper tape to go to chassis ground) would be a suitable alternative.
                      Thanks Nevetslab. (also, hope you and family are safe from the fires in CA).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                        heh.... reminds me every time

Somewheres about that time my old friend and sometimes customer Jim Weider co-developed an amp with Mr. Fargen. I'm sure it must have sounded fabulous, after a countless back 'n forth across the USA. I heard by the time Jim deemed it acceptable, poor Mr. Fargen was ready to be admitted to the Institute for the Very Very Nervous. Better him than me, I say. Hope he's OK now.
                        Im searching the 'net for a pro amp builder with the last name Bastage, to join up with mr Fargen so we can get a Fargen Bastage amp.

Comment

Thanks Nevetslab. (also, hope you and family are safe from the fires in CA).
                          YES, thanks for asking. The closest one that sprang up was last Friday, in Griffith Park, a few miles from where I live. Scary events up and down the state right now, and with Trump suggesting funding to aid the victims of the fires may be withheld!
                          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                            YES, thanks for asking. The closest one that sprang up was last Friday, in Griffith Park, a few miles from where I live. Scary events up and down the state right now, and with Trump suggesting funding to aid the victims of the fires may be withheld!
                            Glad to year you're OK. Hard not to get on my soap box, but I was furious and sad at the president's comment.

Comment

On a lighter note, got together with my assistant and started working on removing the transformer to check clearance with the end bells. He's an expert machinist so Im relying on his experience. That's me on the left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MonkeysWorkingOnAnAmplifier_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	852065

Comment

"Hammer at the ready"
                                Originally posted by Enzo
                                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                                X