6v6 stereo power amp build .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arbutt View Post
    Ok so to redesign the pi circuit . Any reason not to go with a paraphrase type ?
    I suggest to redraw the complete amp circuit with cathode bias and grid (leak) resistors for the power tubes and post a readable copy with component labels (R1,..,C1,..) and supply voltages.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Here:
      http://www.ampwares.com/schematics/gibson/ga20t.pdf
      is a working example with paraphase and cathode bias. Notice the difference? It's mainly an additional ground connection.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks helmholtz. I will have a look tomorrow. I can see this has 2 x 220k going to ground. I thought the idea of having a trimmer I could tweak it up. But it looks like in going to have to go down the route of cathode bias with this amp.
        Arbutt

Comment

Thanks helmholtz. I will have a look tomorrow. I can see this has 2 x 220k going to ground. I thought the idea of having a trimmer I could tweak it up. But it looks like in going to have to go down the route of cathode bias with this amp.
          Arbutt
          Nothing wrong with the trimmer. But I think the connection between 2K and 220k is meant be grounded. Otherwise why split the resistor? Hereby we get a ground reference (grid leak resistor) for the PI and provide grid leak resistance for the power tubes. Of course this only works with cathode bias, where the power tube grids sit at 0VDC.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-12-2018, 09:26 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Here is a good read on the different PI types.
            http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/paraphase.html

Comment

The nfb I'm using is from the original circuit 22k and 50pf cap connected to the 1.6k . The amp is definitely better without nfb switched on
              Looking at other circuits they don't seem to use an cathode bypass cap across the 1.6k
              I think you need to have separate cathodes each with its own resistor then connect the nfb to the first (input side) cathode.

Comment

Morning. I decided this morning to start again with the pi stage on this amp. I have removed all the components from the pi just leaving the tube base with heaters connected.
                Customer was keen from the start to use fixed bias over cathode. End of the day he is paying
                I will start to look for a circuit.

If anyone has any recommendations on what to go for I would be grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                  I think you need to have separate cathodes each with its own resistor then connect the nfb to the first (input side) cathode.
                  Good point!
                  One of the cathodes is an inverting input and the other a non-inverting one. Connecting the NFB to the common cathode resistor will produce asymmetrical PI outputs and may give rise to instabilities because of the positive feedback involved.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

There's a schematics section of this forum https://music-electronics-forum.com/...splay.php?f=60

Where I found this Fender Schem Deluxe Reverb

Here's an example just to start you off. I suspect that you are making a HiFi amp, not a guitar amp, but Fender was known for their 'clean' sound. Not too far off from the HiFi sets of the era. This amp has fixed bias, a long-tail-pair PI, NFB, and 2x 6V6. The implementation should be close to what you're looking for. If you go this route, there may need to be some tweaking of the gain structure, but not much.

Read up on LTP PIs, and also negative feedback. The better your understanding, the more successful you will be getting the parts of the amp to 'fit', working well as a whole. Your project seems interesting. Good luck, and any questions will be answered!
                    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Thanks I'm going to be using 6sl7 as the pi.
                      Do you see issues with this. I know the pin outs are different. I looked at it this morning. It's wasn't looking tidy anymore . Hence why I have started again.
                      After this is done he has a pre amp to build :-/
                      Thanks again .

Comment

Are you re-doing the entire circuit? Share the tube complement, design goals, typical application for the amp. There's likely a schem out there that is close to what your customer wants.
                        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I'm not going to redo the whole circuit. Just gutted the pi and clean it all up .As it was looking un tidy .
                          Want to re do PI so I can use fixed bias.
                          It's going to be a stereo power amp for HiFi use
                          With 2 x 6v6 pp per channel with 6sl7 as pi
                          Gz34 rectifier. 8 and 16 ohm out. Going to be used with an existing tube pre amp unit

Comment

Are you using two PI circuits then?
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It's a stereo power amp with 2 x 6v6gt per channel

Comment

Are you using two PI circuits then?
                                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                                X