No announcement yet.

6v6 stereo power amp build .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes chuck I have a pi circuit for each channel .

Comment

Thank you. I just wanted to be clear about it because so far "the" pi has been referenced. Which doesn't imply two of them.

I think the suggestion of using a LTP type phase inverter was a good idea. You can probably keep the NFB loop values the same, using the 1.5k cathode resistor value for the shunt resistor between the tail and ground.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thank you Chuck . I will look at one later and post up when I want to use. And see what you guys think. I want to get this thing finished and off my bench.
        Mr a

Comment

Morning . Had a read last night on AC and DC long tailed pair pi. On valve wizard web site As jazz p bass said. I sort of understood it .
          I've decided to go for AC long tailed pair.
          I'm going to start it later today- tomorrow hopefully .
          If anyone has any suggestions
          http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/acltp.html
          Many thanks
          Mr a

Comment

We've been talking some time about the amp, as if it was only one channel. I never thought to ask if the "a little distorted" sound was on only one channel, or on both. I'm assuming both channels were wired up exactly the same way during any/all of the modifications that were made.
            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Both channels were wired the same and both channels were slightly distorted at a higher level . The bias was fixed and at 25ma per tube. Tubes are now stock Russian brand unknown. Tested ok on a tube tester. I did run one channel with a pair of used tubes and it was the same
              I have removed everything for pi and going to work on one channel 1st and then do other when I'm Happy with the 1st one.
              I have a clean slate to start again

Comment

Something like this might do:

Attached Files
                Last edited by Chuck H; 11-14-2018, 02:25 PM.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Thank you Chuck. I had to look twice at this. Thinking it's my circuit . Thought you were taking the piss as the British will say
                  I will do this and report back

So I will leave you guys alone for a day or two.

Comment

I made a small edit above. I changed the inverting (input) side plate resistor to 91k instead of 100k. Better balance.

Comment

Many thanks to you all for the help.
                      I have done what chuck said and it's working perfectly.
                      Only think I haven't done is the 91k as I didn't have any.
                      I have ordered some and will change.. I'm yet to get on a scope and signal gen to give a full check and output wattage check..

Many thanks again you are all stars

Mr arbutt snitch

Comment

Originally posted by Arbutt View Post
                        Many thanks to you all for the help.
                        I have done what chuck said and it's working perfectly.
                        Only think I haven't done is the 91k as I didn't have any.
                        I have ordered some and will change.. I'm yet to get on a scope and signal gen to give a full check and output wattage check..

Many thanks again you are all stars

Mr arbutt snitch
                        The difference between 91k and 100k is smaller than the difference between the 2 triode systems in the same envelope/tube can be expected.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Absolutely true. Even with a perfectly "matched" tube the difference between the PI outputs just using a pair of 100k plate loads is only (gain) 26.93 to 25.45 (using an on line calculator). Changing to 91k for the inverting side get's you to 25.65 to 25.90. In dB the improvement is only from .48dB imbalance to .09db. But seeing as this is listening amp I was just doing my best

Comment

Working...
                          X