Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Web Browsers, & Assorted Web Browser reviews!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a 59.2 mb download tar file for linux.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

When you open firefox in linux, can you not check for updates like in windows?
      ("help: about" shows version # and allows to check for updates)
      You have to download the whole new version every time?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        When you open firefox in linux, can you not check for updates like in windows?
        ("help: about" shows version # and allows to check for updates)
        You have to download the whole new version every time?
        No, the check for updates is only on versions that were added manually.
        Since Windows doesn't come with FF, you had to add it manually, therefore it self checks for updates.
        If you have an OS that comes with FF, then it doesn't have the check for updates option.
        FF depends on updates through the OS updates.
        The Ubuntu & Fedora way, which I use the most, keeps their latest FF tested version on the update repository.
        Until they update the repository, if I deleted FF, and reinstalled it from the repository with the apt command?
        I would just reinstall 66.0.3, which is what I have.
        To add the new 66.0.4 version right now manually, I would have to totally remove the current version, and install the 66.0.4.tar.bz2, from the FF site.
        Since I have the ad-ons working with the work around, it's not worth the trouble.
        In between the down time of Ublock, I installed o-o-0-o-o wing0wing adblocker ad-on, and it worked fine.
        That is about all I know about that.
        Everything is good right now!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I don't use any adblockers on this machine anymore since I got 'noscript'. It's a bit more work but I feel much more secure, and it gets rid of a lot of other non-ad distractions as well.
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I'm too lazy to use noscript.
            uBlock does enough for me.
            I run a UFW firewall on my linux, but I pretty much leave it wide open.
            Here's a tutorial for noscript, if anyone is interested?

Terry

Comment

FF 66.0.4, is available today for linux, through linux updates.
              ad-ons are up and running.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-05-08 14-47-36.png
Views:	1
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	853782
              Last edited by big_teee; 05-09-2019, 05:12 PM.
              Terry

Comment

Opera GX is one of my favorite Windows browsers and I'm waiting for it to be ported to Linux)

Comment

I would like to review as many Web browsers as possible.
                  I can review all the browsers that can be loaded on linux, with screen shots.
                  I like and personally use Firefox, and have for many years.
                  Firefox is available for about every OS, Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac, etc.
                  I plan on reviewing Chromium, Opera, pale Moon, Safari, etc.
                  There are many Add-ons available for Mozilla Firefox.
                  Firefox features a Private window mode, that dumps most data, when closed.
                  Check it out!
                  Here's a few shots of Firefox 72, that just came out as a linux update 1-9-2020.
                  T
                  Attached Files
                  Terry

Comment

I am still really ignorant of this stuff. What do I look for in these screen shots? I only have the Internet Explorer (or whatever it is called in Windows 10) and Chrome, and mostly use Chrome. But the two look similar to me, little details that one gets used to, but they do the same things. But I am not a sophisticated user. (Forums, email, Turbotax) What makes one preferable to another? What substantive differences are between say Firefox and Opera?
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      I am still really ignorant of this stuff. What do I look for in these screen shots? I only have the Internet Explorer (or whatever it is called in Windows 10) and Chrome, and mostly use Chrome. But the two look similar to me, little details that one gets used to, but they do the same things. But I am not a sophisticated user. (Forums, email, Turbotax) What makes one preferable to another? What substantive differences are between say Firefox and Opera?
                      Kinda like the differences between Ford and Chevy or Fender and Gibson. Both of them take you places, just depends on your past experiences.

nosaj
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I don't currently have Opera loaded on anything.
                        I will put it on my test computer on Ubuntu.
                        I will show screenshots of Opera, and also part of the test, will be how easy I can uninstall it, and get it off.
                        Opera seems to be hard to get off of Windows, without the aid of a uninstall add-on program.
                        It shouldn't be too tough to get off of Linux, but time will tell!
                        With the test computer, if I tear something up, I just format, reload, and start over.
                        I do it pretty regular!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

This is a bit of a tangent, but still browser related.
                          Do you sometimes get the message on youtube that a video is not available in your country? I had that happen recently but another guy said he could see it, even though we're both in the same country. I asked him if he was running anything that would mask his IP country, but he said no. He said he was running the newest Firefox and it had more privacy.
                          Can anyone confirm? I'm on an old ESR version of firefox but will be moving up to win7 before the deadline, so I should be able to run newest firefox I hope.

Comment

Do you sometimes get the message on youtube that a video is not available in your country?
                            That may have to do with some privacy settings.
                            I will try to check it out.

T
                            Last edited by big_teee; 01-10-2020, 04:03 AM.
                            Terry

Comment

I just installed Opera on my Linux test laptop, a i5 with sata ssd drive.
                              Opera was not on the Ubuntu Repository, like most programs.
                              So I had to go and download it from the Opera site, and it was a bit trickier to install.
                              I had to install the debian file.
                              I installed it with the gui.
                              It can also be installed with apt install command, with the .deb file.
                              But, you have to put ./ in front of the file name.
                              Here is the whole command.
                              # apt install ./opera-stable_66.0.3515.27_amd64.deb

It has a light and a dark setting.
                              You can take a screenshot from the browser which is a neat feature.
                              I don't know the ins and outs of opera like I do Firefox.
                              I removed it with the software gui, and it seems to be all gone!
                              Here are some screenshots.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by big_teee; 01-10-2020, 03:47 AM.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X