No announcement yet.

Multimeter questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always marveled at John Stephens, the designer of Stephens Tape Machines back in the 70's and 80's. Multitrack servo-loop capstan-less tape drive that began with the 3M tape transports, then he got that basic design to work without a capstan. When he went to studios to service their Stephens multitrack recorders, he pulled out a $15 analog pocket voltmeter (DMM's didn't exist in that size yet) and got his machine back up and running with just that (and his vast knowledge of them)!
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Other than computers wanting their +5v within a few percent, most field techs know that voltage is more likely to be a problem in its absence than in being "wrong". And by wrong, I mean off a little. If the 400v reads 200v, that is a clue, if it reads 493v it is not. So sure, a cheap meter handles most jobs.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And look what I found in my band's Emergency Kit .... My old Radio Shack 22-813 Meter.

The COM clip broke. So I hard wired some leads through a small hole at the bottom of the case. I like this one for my "quick, I need it now measurements." The unit works well, fits in my palm, etc etc etc. You can find these (or similar Radio Shack model) for $25 to $40.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X