Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staring wire install the old way on PAF bobbin question

Hi guys,
    anybody installing the starting wire on a HB bobbin the way Gibson does? In the past I used to install the starting wire outside the windings after the bobbin was wound up completely. But now I started to get interest on having the starting wire sticking out of the bobbin's hole in the bottom.
    I wound one just like this but it was an odd experience. Logically the wire started to fatten up the bobbin where the lead is sticking into the bobbin super fast. I had a hard time to make it all even in the end. Well almost even. I assume the way I did it wasn't done correctly. I wonder how Gibson or anyone of you does it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	starting_leadweb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	874082

Throbak has recently made a video about this very subject.

I found it to be more than interesting.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

Mille grazie Pepe, that's great information.

Comment

Another method I've used for years, on cheap modern bobbins with no hole?
        Is to saw an angled notch on bottom flange, right before the end, to break the 28 awg hookup wire out of.
        It is easier on the buildup.
        Has the same benefits as the hole.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I just stopped winding half ways after I did the method shown in the video. What a mess it is. The hookup wire I'm using is 1 mm outer which translates into 0,04 ". Not sure if is too thick. I bought an other spool hookup wire after this desaster. All I could get for today is a 0,8 mm / 0,03" hookup wire. I seems a bit thin to me. Not sure what the PAF era pickups were using. I have capless T Top in the shelf but I don't want to cut the tape. Biut from lurking inside w. a torch it seems that its' hookup wires are about what I was initially using at 1 mm. Anybody in the know?

Comment

The inner diameter specs. of the 0,8 mm / 0,03" o.d. hookup wire that I bought today I figured that it is identical to 28 gauge i.d. wire. So that's probably the wire I'm going with. I'm curious if this won't mess up the layers as much as the slightly thicker hook up wire. Let's see.

Comment

Success, this time things went a lot better. It seems that the little nuances in outer diameter of the hook up wire make a difference on how nicely you're gonna be able to put the layers on. I also used a tougher tape to keep the wire lined up more straight and tight, especially where it goes through the opening in the bobbin. Thanks again everybody for chiming in.

Comment

Working...
              X