OT mount stress crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT mount stress crack

I have a drop dead clean 66 Vibrolux Reverb in for a new owner going over, and I noticed the OT was leaning to one side a bit. I found this stress crack has traveled half way across the front mounting tab. I don't want it to come loose, and am wondering how to fix it. The owner suggested a spot weld, but I am unsure if this is a good idea or not. Should I be concerned about the heat and/or electricity being applied to this 50+ year old transformer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	874084
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

I look forward to other suggestions...if it was me, I'd MacGyver it with Plumber strap (like for water heaters).
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

custom rig job. check out the interstage transformer. I think this is what xtian means.

Cant get images to upload so HERE is the link
      Did you do this --^

Comment

JB weld? I’m not sure how much heat I would put on it. I’ve used a wire brush, solder, flux, and ground braid for situations like this before but I don’t think I would risk it on a vintage transformer.

Comment

Remove the mounting frame from the transformer and replace it with one from a dead one or weld the broken one off of the transformer core and reinstall it when you're done.

There should be folded tabs on the bottom that hold the frame to the core. If you go this route, don't over do the bending of the tabs or you will break them off.

Comment

YES! I didn't think of that. Three of the four tabs broke right off, and I dont trust the last one, but I dont think they are all that necessary anyway. It was not easy getting frame off, as the laquer was sticking petty good, but it did come off. Now to find someone to tack it without burning through it.

Comment

Since you have it off, you could also try olddawg's idea in post #4 and use solder and braid to reinforce the break. If so, clean well with a wire brush first and use plenty of flux. I've done this before with good results. If you lay a nice solder bead in the corner, it doesn't even look bad.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I think a flux core wire weld would be the ticket. They use it for auto body panels.

Comment

I don't disagree, but if you're looking for an "in house" solution............
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                    I think a flux core wire weld would be the ticket. They use it for auto body panels.
                    Hmmm, flux core wire makes weld spatter (slag) a lot more than plain mig wire with gas.

All autobody shops I know of, don't use flux core wire.
                    They use plain mig wire with gas.

I have a mig welder and have used both types of wire.
                    The plain wire has far less weld spatter.
                    If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
                    I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Any splatter from a little weld could be mitigated without much trouble, so I don't see that as a deterrent.

Comment

Well, here it is, a customer welded it a work for me. Picked up and delivered, one day turnaround, you can't beat that! The pic is a little deceiving in that the cracked side looks like the weld is incomplete, but it's actually fine. Thanks for collective ideas! My customer will be pleased.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	852111

Comment

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post
                          Hmmm, flux core wire makes weld spatter (slag) a lot more than plain mig wire with gas.

All autobody shops I know of, don't use flux core wire.
                          They use plain mig wire with gas.

I have a mig welder and have used both types of wire.
                          The plain wire has far less weld spatter.
                          Splatter comes right off. I know a real auto body shop wouldn't use it but there are so many cheap flux core welders available i thought i would mention it. Someone he knows probably has one and would do it for free, where a professional welder who has the gas tanks might want to charge for even a small job. I've never took any welding courses and i bought a Hobart Handler 135 and have fixed more than one thing around the house and garage.

Comment

Working...
                          X