Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverb Circuit has now killed two reverb drivers. Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For each case:-
    Where is 0V?
    What is the vertical scale?
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      For each case:-
      Where is 0V?
      What is the vertical scale?

Nick, I didn't take note, so I retook some shot with my small digital scope and 100X probe. I also compared equivalent Accutronics and MOD 3-spring tanks. The AC primary voltage went up over 100V RMS with the MOD tank. I don't know if that's of any interest... Here are the shots with the on-screen measurements (God forbid if the uploader rotates my photos again ;/)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Accutronics low gain.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	852323

Name:	Accutronics mid gain.jpg
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	852324

Name:	Accutronics high gain.jpg
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	852325

Name:	MOD low gain.jpg
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	852326

Name:	MOD mid gain.jpg
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	852327

Name:	MOD high gain.jpg
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	852328
      Attached Files

Comment

As to the danger of running the reverb circuit without a tank: I've had innumerable amps come in with the input of the tank open owing to broken internal wires (the cause of 90% or more of our tank issues). I've replaced one reverb transformer.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
          As to the danger of running the reverb circuit without a tank: I've had innumerable amps come in with the input of the tank open owing to broken internal wires (the cause of 90% or more of our tank issues). I've replaced one reverb transformer.
          I've had a couple of reverb transformers go bad, but I've pretty much seen the same thing as you, Timmy. I can't tell you how many either broken transducer wires, rca jack oxidization, bad cables which have opened the secondary and they have survived.
          But obviously, Nick's theory is sound and I have no good explanation for why these audio transformers hold up under no load conditions.
          I dunno', what is the typical leakage inductance in these little transformers?
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Sorry for delay. Been away and the and WiFi was broke...

I see that you get about 1.4KV. Given this is probably not a worst case test I would not be surprised to see something higher. I suggest two things, one add an MOV to clamp to a max of 1KV and second reduce the drive. It seems like you might be driving it a bit hard. This was done with 100mV input and a real guitar can put out quite a bit more than that.

On the reverb transformers failing it's certainly a rare thing. Where I have seen it I can only think of once where it was total fail. In the other cases it just made faint noises, I guess insulation starting to go. OTOH the excessive drive in this case means failure is more likely.
            Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
            X