My First Time...Burman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Time...Burman

One of these turned up today. I've never seen one before. Here's a pic. Now you know as much as I do!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Burman.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	874104

I'd be interested in any history. I'll dig into it today and find out what is under the hood(s).
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Interesting. Post a couple gut shots when you can
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      One of these turned up today. I've never seen one before. Here's a pic. Now you know as much as I do!

I'd be interested in any history. I'll dig into it today and find out what is under the hood(s).
      I worked on a couple of Burman combos around 2007. They were made in the 70's, and used KT77 output tubes. Lucky that JJ had just releases their '77 or the owner was going to have to pay gold dust money for real Genelex. Turned out to be very versatile amps, and well made except for the flimsy chassis they were mounted in.

Apparently the company floundered but I ran across a new webpage from an an apparently revived Burman a couple years ago. Ordinarily I'd google it for you but I'm running out the door, traveling to Thanksgiving dinner & visits.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Two links:
        https://tonereport.com/blogs/tone-ti...-amps/page/two

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/40647/burman

Comment

There used to be a couple of the combos knocking around in my area, but the last time one crossed my bench was maybe 15 years ago.
          I remember them as being a bit of a 2 trick pony, a very clean channel and an early (for the UK) cascading gain 'boogie lead' type channel, but no channel switching.
          There may have been some active tone controls too in there I think.
          Tracy Norton over on the defunct vintageamps.com has documented the schematics; I've kept that in mind in case I ever see one again, as they were built on a JMI AC30 style tagboard with many difficult to follow link wires.
          Tracy Norton Vintage Tube Amp Repair & Restoration
          (626) 296-8339
          Also on ampgarage https://ampgarage.com/forum/memberli...ewprofile&u=54
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Thanks all. Seem remarkably little is known.Certainly the build standard is above average and the transformers are massive by today's standards.

More pics:

Slave (power amp):

Name:	IMG_4326.JPG
Size:	653.6 KB
ID:	852151

Name:	IMG_4327.JPG
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	852152

Name:	IMG_4329.JPG
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	852153

Preamp:

Name:	IMG_4330.JPG
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	852154

Preamp schematic ( unusual presence control and lowish impedance inputs).

PowerPak Preamp.pdf

Power amp schematic:
            PowerPak Slave.pdf

As this is being regularly gigged, I had to disconnect the broken voltage selector (under the duck tape) and replace the power connector with a CE approved type with integral fuse. The front panel fuse is now decorative. Also the protective earth arrangement was not satisfactory. I did this in such a way that the original can be restored if need be.

Only issues were three scratchy pots and a dry joint on the 68k on one of the input jacks. That and the bias set to 6mA. Caps seem in good shape with the exception of the bias filter which I have now replaced. The preamp power indicator was u/s to I removed it's guts and fitted a#47 size AC LED running of the heater supply inside so it looks the same from outside.
            Last edited by nickb; 11-22-2018, 09:22 PM.
            Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
            X