Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground buzz - need some help

Hi all.
    Been a while since I last posted but have a problem that I would appreciate some help with. I have a Les Paul style guitar with DeMarzio 36 anniversary PAF's in the neck and bridge positions. It has a quality 3 way selector switch, one volume pot and one tone pot.
    With volume at zero I have no buzz when tone knob is 0 to 10. When volume is 1 to 10 and the tone is anything except zero I get a buzz until I touch something metal. If the tone is dead on zero I can have the volume 0 to 10 and the guitar is quiet as a mouse touching metal or not.
    Any suggestions on what might cause this? Bad pot? ...bad ground? ...bad treble bleed or tone cap? Any way to isolate the problem with a voltage meter? I feel certain the problem is not the amp or the cable. No noise at all from my strat clone I built. By the way, there are no effects pedals in the chain and I plugged direct to a fender blues deluxe reissue.
    Again, any specific suggestions would be helpful. I feel something is causing the noise but I don't know how to find it.
    Thanks,
    Stephen

Sounds like your bridge ground is open. Check continuity between the bridge and the ring of the output jack.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
      Sounds like your bridge ground is open. Check continuity between the bridge and the ring of the output jack.
      Thanks for responding olddawg. I checked and have good continuity between the bridge and ground at the pot and at the output jack.

Comment

Has the guitar always had this problem since you have owned it? Or did the problem just suddenly appear? Or did the problem appear after some work was done on the guitar? (if so then please tell us what work was done)
        Keep learning. Never give up.

Comment

Originally posted by heapes View Post
          Thanks for responding olddawg. I checked and have good continuity between the bridge and ground at the pot and at the output jack.
          Continuity doesn't always mean good connection. A cold solder joint can have continuity yet still inject noise.
          answer Readers comments then we can go from there.

nosaj
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

And sometimes a connection might be intermittent, eg it happened to test ok when you measured it. The connection to the bridge / tailpiece is usually just made using pressure (ie not a solid solder joint), hence they can go wonky.
            And the solid core wire often used can fracture, especially if its insulation has been stripped carelessly, eg nicking the conductor surface creating a weak point.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

So was the guitar working before the problem ? & nothing was changed /rewired ?
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by Reader View Post
                Has the guitar always had this problem since you have owned it? Or did the problem just suddenly appear? Or did the problem appear after some work was done on the guitar? (if so then please tell us what work was done)
                I am the first owner. It did not buzz when I got it. The only work that has been done since I got it was the neck pickup was laid over during a string change to verify what pickup was installed. It was not unsoldered. I can't say for certain that the buzz did or didn't start after this. Really uncertain. To check the solder joint for the bridge I also connected jumper wire (alligator clips) to the bridge and the ground on the jack with no change. This was in addition to checking continuity.

Comment

Reposting this response so it is on the bottom.

I am the first owner. It did not buzz when I got it. The only work that has been done since I got it was the neck pickup was laid over during a string change to verify what pickup was installed. It was not unsoldered. I can't say for certain that the buzz did or didn't start after this. Really uncertain. To check the solder joint for the bridge I also connected jumper wire (alligator clips) to the bridge and the ground on the jack with no change. This was in addition to checking continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by heapes View Post
                    Reposting this response so it is on the bottom...
                    Try adjusting the 'settings' options to one of the linear thread viewing modes, it makes much more sense to me like that.
                    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Any chance a shield wire got disconnected when the pickup was turned over?
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                        Any chance a shield wire got disconnected when the pickup was turned over?
                        I guess it's possible. I will check. Thanks

Comment

Could you please include a picture of the control cavity?
                          Thanks,
                          T
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X