Solid State Storage-SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Storage-SSD

We can use this thread to discuss SATA SSD, NVMe M2, RAM, USB Sticks, and SD Camera media.
    All Solid state storage.
    I currently only have SATA 2.5 inch air core Hard Drives. No SSDs yet.
    The prices of SSDs were pricey, but they are really coming down and starting to look pretty attractive.
    If you run a SSD, please discuss it here.
    As I look and shop for a 500gb, and or a 1tb SSD, I will report here.
    TBC,
    T
    **Included is a basic benchmark of a 1tb WD blue HD.
    I will run the same test on a SSD, when I get one.
    First is read only, second is read and write. (use partition without data for write test)
    A typical SATA SSD, should be 5-6 times faster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-28 23-22-46.png
Views:	1
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	874116Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-28 23-36-20.png
Views:	2
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	874117
    Last edited by big_teee; 11-29-2018, 04:41 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

I don't have any fancy data or much valuable info, but my niece had the drive in her MacBook take a dump. I found a Crucial 240GB SSD on eBay for 75 bucks, so what the hell? I could not believe how fast it made that thing. I timed from pushing the power button to arriving at the OS ready to roll. It took about 12 seconds. I'm not gonna rush out and replace drives in my working boxes, but if one fails it'll be replaced with a SSD.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Not all USB flash drives are created equal either.
      I have several, and I use them not just for storage, but to run and test linux live with.
      The fastest ones I have are PNY USB-3 type.
      The slowest I had, were the Sandisk USB-2s.
      They took forever to write a 2GB linux live iso on.
      I formatted them, and gave them to my college going Granddaughter, for simple doc storage.
      I will try to benchmark one of those, later.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I just bought a 1Tb SSD (actually < 1Tb but you know...) a nice Samsung 860 Evo for under $128, its great!
        The $/Tb price is best at 1Tb, the 250Gb and 2/4Tb versions want >50% more $/Tb!

My boot drive is a Samsung M.2 512Gb and even faster; boots in 5 s!

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
          I just bought a 1Tb SSD (actually < 1Tb but you know...) a nice Samsung 860 Evo for under $128, its great!
          The $/Tb price is best at 1Tb, the 250Gb and 2/4Tb versions want >50% more $/Tb!

My boot drive is a Samsung M.2 512Gb and even faster; boots in 5 s!
          Can you benchmark them for us?
          T
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            Not all USB flash drives are created equal either.
            I have several, and I use them not just for storage, but to run and test linux live with.
            The fastest ones I have are PNY USB-3 type.
            The slowest I had, were the Sandisk USB-2s.
            They took forever to write a 2GB linux live iso on.
            I formatted them, and gave them to my college going Granddaughter, for simple doc storage.
            I will try to benchmark one of those, later.
            T
            Here's a couple of USB 3s
            The PNY is real old.
            It seems to have slowed down some on the write.

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-29 00-17-18.png
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	852237Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-29 00-33-16.png
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	852238
            Terry

Comment

With the Windows pre-update checks and anti-virus scans running for about 50% of the time our laptops were almost unusable. Fitted Samsung 512GB SSD in one (i5) and a Crucial 1TB in other (i7). Now I barely notice these drive thrashing processes. The best upgrade I ever did on anything, ever, by far.
              Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                With the Windows pre-update checks and anti-virus scans running for about 50% of the time our laptops were almost unusable.
                I disabled automatic updates and automatic virus scans, now I *own* my own computer.

Whenever I go to sleep for good, no matter what the time of day, *then* I unleash the guard dogs, never ever when I am using or even might need it.

And when I wake up, IF anything is still running, I plain cancel it, period.

I´m missing nothing, whatever was not updated/scanned today, will be tonight ... while I sleep.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

There is none of that constant thrashing with linux.
                  I also turn off any auto update stuff.
                  I do the updates at my leisure.
                  A 500gb ssd would get me by, but the 1TBs aren't much more.
                  I hope they keep coming down in price!
                  I've read a lot of benmark tests, and the Crucial and Samsung EVO, are the fastest and cheapest.
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 11-29-2018, 02:13 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                    I disabled automatic updates and automatic virus scans, now I *own* my own computer.

Whenever I go to sleep for good, no matter what the time of day, *then* I unleash the guard dogs, never ever when I am using or even might need it.

And when I wake up, IF anything is still running, I plain cancel it, period.

I´m missing nothing, whatever was not updated/scanned today, will be tonight ... while I sleep.
                    It's really isn't that simple. The processes are scheduled to start during down time ( I don't get much of that). So they want to run at say 1am. Computer is off so won't actually run until I next use it. Halting the process tree isn't practical either and the darn thing still has to get it's work done sometime. All you doing is postponing the inevitable. You're also overlooking the AV scan that runs everytime an email arrives, download etc.

Trust me, as SSD is bliss by comparison as everything gets done quickly.
                    Last edited by nickb; 11-29-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Trust me, as SSD is bliss by comparison as everything get done quickly.
                      Hey Nick?
                      Would it be possible to run and show us a benchmark test on the two computers with SSDs?
                      Thanks in advance.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        Hey Nick?
                        Would it be possible to run and show us a benchmark test on the two computers with SSDs?
                        Thanks in advance.
                        T
                        Here's mine using hdtune. Averages over 350MB/s.

Name:	hdtune_bm.JPG
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	852248

Comment

SSD speed in your own computer or laptop will depend on how old, and what version of SATA Controller you have.
                          SATA 3 is required to get the ner 600/mbs

SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA II (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface.

Not sure how you check windows for SATA controller version.

In Ubuntu linux use this command
                          Mine is 6Gbps, or SATA 3.

root@Mubu4:~# dmesg | grep SATA
                          [ 2.098891] ahci 0000:00:11.0: AHCI 0001.0300 32 slots 2 ports 6 Gbps 0x3 impl SATA mode
                          [ 2.113117] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m1024@0xf056c000 port 0xf056c100 irq 19
                          [ 2.113119] ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m1024@0xf056c000 port 0xf056c180 irq 19
                          [ 2.612232] ata1: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
                          [ 2.612255] ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
                          [13468.870745] ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
                          [13471.042961] ata1: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
                          root@Mubu4:~#
                          Terry

Comment

I picked up a Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 inch 1TB SATA SSD, at Bestbuy.
                            I put it in my oldest of the 3 laptops. The one I use so much in the Living Room.
                            It is a HP with a A10 AMD processor.
                            I still don't have it fully loaded, but got it up enough to log on to the MEF.
                            This thing flies, it really made a big difference.
                            Everyone is right, once you use a SSD, it is hard to go back to HD.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Here's the screenshot of the old spinnig HD, and the new 860 EVO SSD.
                              A big difference!

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-30 18-12-14.png
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	852255
                              Attached Files
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X