No announcement yet.

Solid State Storage-SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this is true for the current SSDs being sold but I remember hearing that SSDs have a limited number of read/write events for each bit. Does anyone have related information on this?

I realize that everything has a limit and maybe the life concern only applies to the earlier generations of SSDs. In addition, maybe the life comment is insignificant because the actual SSD life is longer than a mechanical drive anyway. However, since I've read/heard the comment multiple time I'm interested if anyone has background information to add.
    Keep learning. Never give up.

Comment

Found this article. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue compared to a drive with moving parts.

https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-...-to-take-care/
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Found this article. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue compared to a drive with moving parts.

https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-...-to-take-care/
        Thanks.
        Overall the intent of that article sounds good but it sure was a hard read for me. Maybe it was a google language translation.
        Keep learning. Never give up.

Comment

Yes, I'll admit I didn't read it in depth. A quick skim read told me what I wanted to know, though. Basically, modern SSD's should last much longer than a drive with moving parts.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            Can you benchmark them for us?
            T
            Hmmm I'm quantitative all day, at home I usually go all touchy feely . Along those lines my new SSDs feel fast!

My ancient laptop was reborn with a Samsung SSD; I decided to not replace it over a year ago after ditching the mag spinner!

Comment

Mine came today blank, but looks like this now.
              Linux only.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-30 20-13-40.png
Views:	1
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	852257
              Last edited by big_teee; 12-01-2018, 01:45 AM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                My ancient laptop was reborn with a Samsung SSD
                How ancient is your laptop? I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile for an old one I have.
                -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Originally posted by tboy View Post
                  How ancient is your laptop? I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile for an old one I have.
                  Mine is a dual core t4200@ 2 ghz 4 gig ram. 100gig kingston ssd brought this thing to life. I like the almost instant boot from sleep or hibernation much better than a Sata drive.

nosaj
                  soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

If you can determine if it is SATA 1, 2, or 3.?
                    If 2 or 3 I would think it would be feasible.
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

After running the new Samsung 860 EVO, for a day, all I can say is WOW!
                      i used to spend money on Ram, and Ram does speed things up to a point, but the SSD makes more difference than anything so far.
                      Boot up in seconds instead of minutes. I spend more time inputting passwords, and bootup optins than actual boot time.
                      This one will get me by for now, but would like to upgrade the other computers in the house.
                      Hopefully the SSD revolution, will keep going, and will keep getting cheaper.
                      SSD speeds vary greatly, as well as do prices. Diligence pays off!
                      GL,
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 12-01-2018, 04:01 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        After running the new Samsung 860 EVO, for a day, all I can say is WOW!
                        i used to spend money on Ram, and Ram does speed things up to a point, but the SSD makes more difference than anything so far.
                        Boot up in seconds instead of minutes. I spend more time inputting passwords, and bootup optins than actual boot time.
                        This one will get me by for now, but would like to upgrade the other computers in the house.
                        Hopefully the SSD revolution, will keep going, and will keep getting cheaper.
                        SSD speeds vary greatly, as well as do prices.
                        GL,
                        T
                        Well if you look at it correctly your running your OS on a writable ram chip. They kick ass I'm on my first one, so I have no idea how long it will last.

nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                          Well if you look at it correctly your running your OS on a writable ram chip. They kick ass I'm on my first one, so I have no idea how long it will last.

nosaj
                          NVMe is the next big evolution with laptops, but They're still pricey.
                          They are about 4-6 times faster than SATA SSDs.
                          I want to put one of those in the new HP i7 I got black friday, but need to save more pennies first.
                          Here's the benchmark test between the Samsung 860 ssd, and the samsung 970 NVMe SSD drive.
                          https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compar.../m494033vs3949
                          T
                          **Note, NVMe SSDs only fit the newest laptops, and require the NVMe Connector near the Ram Memory. So don't buy a NVMe SSD, until you know your Laptop is equipped to handle it.
                          Last edited by big_teee; 12-01-2018, 04:30 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

Its a >10 year old Acer Aspire 1810T, which is a tiny 11" ultraportable with the semi rare 1.3-GHz Intel Pentium SU7300 CPU.
                            Its so portable and its 8h battery life was a godsend when I commuted to SF by air for a year. The 256Gb Samsung 2.5" drive was spendy a couple years back but way less than a new laptop, well worth the upgrade.

I am not gaming or doing CAD on this (just molecular modeling and some ray tracing!) but thats what the desktop is for.

Comment

Some SSD's were on sale around black friday, but they went back up to full retail before Christmas.
                              They are going back down again now, as computer parts usually do around tax season.
                              Here's a pretty good deal for a 1TB NVMe, I would like to put one in my newest i7 HP, I bought black friday.
                              To use this type SSD, a NVME slot is required.
                              https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...D=7828656&SID=
                              I had rather have the faster Samsung 960 EVO drive, but it is more than twice as much.
                              https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...D=7828656&SID=
                              Hopefully they will keep coming down, and I can spring the trap for one soon?
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

My new Intel 660P NVMe 1TB SSD drive, came in today.
                                I ordered it through Amazon, and it cost $112.99, with free shipping.
                                I am installing it into the HP i7 Laptop I bought last black friday, on sale at Office Depot.
                                The biggest hassle installing anything into a new laptop, is laptop disassembly.
                                The newer laptops, have no rear doors, removal covers, or external access.
                                This same process is required to install the SSD, RAM, HDD, or even a new battery.
                                First with the laptop closed, and all cables unplugged, flip the laptop upside down and remove the 11 screws from the back of the laptop.
                                7 of the screws are under the rubber glue on strips.
                                Be careful lifting the rubber strips.
                                Next flip the laptop back over and with a thin blade or credit card, unsnap the back from the main body of the computer.(This can be tricky, especially the first time it is taken apart)
                                Close the computer, flip it back over and lift off the rear case.
                                See enclosed pictures.
                                Next I remove the internal battery by removing 3 screws, and lifting out the battery.
                                Discharge any ESD from your body, by touching the ground bus of the computer.
                                I do this before I handle the new SSD.
                                A discharge ground strap clipped to the chassis ground, can also be used, if you have one.
                                Install the new NVMe SSD, and replace the NVMe hold down screw.
                                You'll notice by the pictures that I have one more RAM slot available, and another 8GB of RAM can be installed later, if I choose to.
                                Also in the pictures, you will see the 1TB WD blue HDD, on the left side.
                                I will leave the HDD installed for the time being, to make it easy to transfer files from the HDD to the SSD.
                                Put it all back together, it is now ready to power up and start loading files and OS. I will probably remove the HDD at a later time.
                                I will make another post, to demonstrate how the SSD works, and benchmark tests.
                                This has been a fun project, so far!
                                Keeping my fingers crossed, that it works correctly, after I get it buttoned back up!
                                T

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010105.JPG
Size:	678.7 KB
ID:	853636Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010106.JPG
Size:	636.6 KB
ID:	853637Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010107.JPG
Size:	682.8 KB
ID:	853638Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010110.JPG
Size:	693.3 KB
ID:	853639Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010112.JPG
Size:	656.8 KB
ID:	853640Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010114.JPG
Size:	700.6 KB
ID:	853641Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010115.JPG
Size:	710.0 KB
ID:	853642Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010108.JPG
Size:	649.3 KB
ID:	853643
                                Last edited by big_teee; 04-15-2019, 09:50 PM.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X