Guild / Hagstrom Bi-Sonic Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guild / Hagstrom Bi-Sonic Specs

Does anybody know the coil height on the original 60's /Hagstrom Bi-Sonic?
    =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Does anybody know, or have an educated guess???????

Jim

Comment

I found this.
      http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/repairs/Hag-Bisonic/
      Not sure how it all fits in there.
      You might contact novak, he might shed some light?
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 12-12-2018, 03:10 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Thanks T,

I am aware of the work Curtis has done reproducing and repairing the Bi-Sonic. Very impressive. I haven't run across any detailed specs for the original pickup other than general design/construction images. I am looking for coil geometry information.

I actually played a very early Guild Starfire Single pickup bass while in college. It had the very rare smaller pickup (also believe made by Hagstrom) before the Bi-Sonic was standard. It was a great bass and I regret letting it go. Actually saw the same one for sale online about 6 years ago....brought back many found memories. I was happy to see it was still playable and in pretty good shape.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion T.

Jim

Jim

Comment

Maybe you can answer some of my curiosities about the bio-sonic pickup.
          Is the coil on a bobbin, or is it a loose coil that is wound then placed in the pickup?
          I can't tell anything about the coil itself in the pickup pictures.
          Looks old and antiquated to me.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

T,

DISCLAIMER --- I am not an expert on these obscure pickups.

In fact, I have very limited knowledge and direct experience with them as a winder. I do greatly admire their unique sound and have been thinking about coming up with a similar sounding version that doesn’t have as big a “footprint” as the originals. Hence my query about the coil.

So, take anything I say on the Bi-Sonic with a big grain of salt!!!

The original had opposing bar magnets (think P-90) that charged a multi-layer (think transformer iron design) keeper bar. The keeper bar had iron core poles that adjusted up & down with the adjacent height screw(s). The keeper bar and strings poles were grounded via the height adjust traveler plate. The bar magnets appear thicker than modern day HB bars and perhaps are more like the thickness of vintage Filter-trons.

I read at one point that some of the pickups may have had only had one magnet (I have not confirmed this or have seen any evidence supporting this).

Even though they were advertised as “humbucking” they were really a single coil design.

My best guess is that coil form is injection molded and that the magnet wire was wound directly on the bobbin core (again think again P-90 design and some Hofner designs).

Modern-day Guild replicas state they use an A2 magnet and are 6.4K Ohms.

Its design concept may have been inspired by the DeArmond-Rowe Dynasonic 2000 of the late 50s and early 60s.

These vintage pickups sound fantastic IMO and are very rare. Hope this info helps.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Jim
            Last edited by Jim Darr; 12-14-2018, 01:29 AM.

Jim

Comment

I'm with you and think there should be a easier way to accomplish a similar sound.
              The two opposing magnet concept, works well, and gives a bright sound.
              I experimented with bass pickups for a couple of years, and bobbin height means a lot.
              Taller is brighter, pickup placement for bass is important.
              I ended up liking the round multi-coil tall bobbin pickups.
              The downside to multicoils, is lots of labor, and higher cost to make.
              GL, in your endeavor.
              T
              Terry

Comment

Didn't Fred Hammond try to reproduce this with his Darkstart pickups? He had to discontinue the line because they were costing him too much time and trouble to make but i have a set photos of those from all sides if that would help anything.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  Didn't Fred Hammond try to reproduce this with his Darkstart pickups? He had to discontinue the line because they were costing him too much time and trouble to make but i have a set photos of those from all sides if that would help anything.
                  Yes he did the DarkStar. Thanks, any pictures would be helpful. Either post here or PM. Thanks again

Jim

Comment

I had this in my notes for a darkStar:

• Core W8mm xL60mm xmD5mm,
                    • Poles 6mm x 28mm
                    • Coil height 7mm
                    • Magnets W14mm x L55mm x D5,5mm
                    • Coil outside W18mm, 3mm x L69,5mm, tape included
                    • 6kOhm

The keeper bar is not a transformer core. It's just stamped out of multiple thin pieces of steel.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      I had this in my notes for a darkStar:

• Core W8mm xL60mm xmD5mm,
                      • Poles 6mm x 28mm
                      • Coil height 7mm
                      • Magnets W14mm x L55mm x D5,5mm
                      • Coil outside W18mm, 3mm x L69,5mm, tape included
                      • 6kOhm

The keeper bar is not a transformer core. It's just stamped out of multiple thin pieces of steel.
                      Thanks David!!!

Jim

Comment

Here are the Darkstar photos. Hopefully they will appear as everything looks right with the upload.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	DarkStarback.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	852728Click image for larger version

Name:	DarkStarside.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	852729Click image for larger version

Name:	DarkStartop.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	852730

Comment

Someone needs to help me getting these to appear in the post because I'm clueless.

Comment

Here's the great looking pictures from David King.
                            I couldn't attach them either, until I converted them to a different file type.
                            T

Click image for larger version

Name:	DarkStarback.png
Views:	1
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	852757Click image for larger version

Name:	DarkStarside.png
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	852758Click image for larger version

Name:	DarkStartop.png
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	852759
                            Last edited by big_teee; 01-18-2019, 12:51 AM.
                            Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry,
                              Interesting that the filesize increased by an order of magnitude (magnetude?).

Comment

Working...
                              X