Thread: DIY Rotary Speaker Motor

Twobie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

DIY Rotary Speaker Motor

Any recommendations for a motor and controller for this build?
    The author of the article does not specify and will not answer emails.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...rotary-speaker

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,047/5
    Given: 1,066/0
    The guy doesn't give much info on the motor but to say DC brushless. Without a HP rating it's hard to suggest something. The size of the motor will have a large affect on how fast it starts and adjusts to speed control (if that will be important). But too large would be noisier. I would think something like .25hp would spin a Styrofoam drum well enough and not be too noisy? Between the motor and speed control you'll be into parts for over a hundred bucks (if you shop bargain products) unless you can find something used on e*bay and takes yer chances.

"...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 540/100
    Given: 79/32
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    The guy doesn't give much info on the motor but to say DC brushless. Without a HP rating it's hard to suggest something. The size of the motor will have a large affect on how fast it starts and adjusts to speed control (if that will be important). But too large would be noisier. I would think something like .25hp would spin a Styrofoam drum well enough and not be too noisy? Between the motor and speed control you'll be into parts for over a hundred bucks (if you shop bargain products) unless you can find something used on e*bay and takes yer chances.
    If I really wanted one I'd go to craiglist and post an add for free organ pickup. You will then have all the parts for a leslie as most of the organs have them.
    DIY or reuse whatever you wanna call it . I call it cheap
    All the ones I've torn down were ac motors with a hall effect switch on them.

nosaj

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Those motors were probably AC because that's what was easiest to incorporate into the whole design or what was cheapest. Possibly just what was available.?. But DC brushless should be quieter both in operation and in EM heard by a guitar pickup in close proximity. Of course it's more complicated to make it variable speed. With the AC motor you could just use a lamp dimmer.

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,030/5
    A zillion HAmmond B3s with Leslie cab got along for decades with fast and slow. No need for variable. And circuits couldn't be simpler: a switch.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 677/21
    Given: 1,590/5
    Also, I think part of the signature sound is the ramping up/down with the speed switching. You would not get that with variable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    But, I did learn something. There are protons, neutrons, electrons, ............ and morons.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,030/5
    Not only that, the horn and the woofer ramp up and down at different rates, not in lock step.

I agree, the transitions can be more interesting than a steady speed.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 750/15
    Given: 567/15
    I used to make own design "Leslies".
    The full Monty: separate Woofer and Tweeter, wooden bass rotor and metallic treble horns (made with truck air powered blast horns, go figure) , but most important: all mechanical, separate low and high speed motors with an automatic clutch ... same as original Leslies.

Low speed electric motor was sourced from a roof hanging fan manufacturer, and high speed one was a smaller one, using the Leslie trick of making a special "armature/frame" , where the squirrel cage core was partially outside the winding when non energized, but which rised into proper position when powered, winding current acting as an electromagnet.

When in working position its żaxle? could touch a driving disk edge, coupled by a rubber grommet ... similar to **old** style cheap record changers, where rotating platter was pushd by a rubber edge driver .

My partner cared about the mechanical stuff, including sourcing motors, while my job was the Audio and switching section.

Incredibly market demand (it was the Deep Purple era) was large enough that 3 small "companies" could live by making them under basically garage shop conditions

Today "globalization" kills any and all attempts to manufacture anything outside China.

EDIT: didn´t keep pictures of "ours" (RMS brand) but this is one of our 70´s competitors:

Last edited by J M Fahey; 12-09-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Twobie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smoke View Post
    Any recommendations for a motor and controller for this build?
    The author of the article does not specify and will not answer emails.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...rotary-speaker
    There's not a lot of mass to a chunk of styrofoam which is the only moving part, so I doubt you need to get crazy with power.

I'd probably go with a brushed motor like the XD-3420 to save some cash, though there are brushless two wire DC motors out there it turns into a slog really quick since there's a lot of high RPM stuff that will fall flat on its face when PWM'd down (and I'm guessing the noisy gear reduction used on screwguns/etc. would be objectionable) and pulley noise will probably be louder than brush noise. Maybe something like the ZYTD-38SRZ-R? That might be pushing the envelope in that it's only rated at 7 watts, but again - styrofoam.

I'd go for something in the 25 watts and up range to start, and probably just live with brushes for budgetary reasons.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I only suggessted the free organ route cause that gives you All the parts for the price of gas. An what do you have to source after that?

nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Twobie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    I only suggessted the free organ route cause that gives you All the parts for the price of gas. An what do you have to source after that?

nosaj
    It's true you'll wind up with a potentially functioning unit or at least the hardware going this route (though organs are heavy and a PITA to move). That won't necessarily get you the DC motor though, as all the ones I've seen are AC inductance motors. Probably not a big deal in most applications, though I've seen plenty of talk in trying to remove as much AC source as possible from a room for recording reasons - so I figured the DC motor aspect was firm design criteria.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by crochambeau View Post
    It's true you'll wind up with a potentially functioning unit or at least the hardware going this route (though organs are heavy and a PITA to move). That won't necessarily get you the DC motor though, as all the ones I've seen are AC inductance motors. Probably not a big deal in most applications, though I've seen plenty of talk in trying to remove as much AC source as possible from a room for recording reasons - so I figured the DC motor aspect was firm design criteria.
    Guess you never heard a b3 recorded. No noise I can heard. Just glorious organ.
    Nosaj

Twobie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    Guess you never heard a b3 recorded. No noise I can heard. Just glorious organ.
    Nosaj
    No, I've heard plenty of B3 recorded, I just opted to adhere to the criteria laid out in the first post is all. It was pretty straight forward: looking for a brushless DC motor capable of spinning the Leslie drum.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Pretty much moot anyways, this poster seems to start a thread with a single post and never a second post in the same thread.
    nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Funny... All the ads on the bottom of this page (on my display anyway) are electric motors at e*bay. I looked at a few this morning when I posted here.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 130/2
    Given: 12/0
    I'm on my second unit (I had to sell the first one in 1980), using an assembly taken from one of the "free-to-a-good-home" dual-keyboard organs one sees advertised on an almost daily basis, as the people for whom those were the quintessentially hip acquisition move into nursing homes and their adult children pack up the house.

The units typically come with a 20W 8" speaker and a 2-speed motor. The rotor is a piece of styrofoam that I affectionately refer to as a "cheese wheel". It is rotated by a belt-drive mechanism, that does all the ramp-up/ramp-down stuff. The assembly can be rehoused in a standalone cabinet and powered by the external speaker jack of an amp. They sound fabulous.

There are several caveats, however:
    1) an 8" 20W speaker is not exactly gigging level loudness
    2) it is a single rotor system, like a Vibratone, rather than dual rotor
    3) by virtue of their design and intended application, they only work on the vertical plane (up/down) and will not work on the horizontal plane; this means that whenever the rotor points downward, you will lose a bit of sound, unless you have a very clever cabinet

But as has been pointed out, the price is whatever it costs you to go to the location and cart it away. It sounds great on guitar once set up.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 106/0
    Given: 11/0
    When I was a kid we would repurpose an old record player to spin the styrofoam (or even cheap wall paneling) disc. Some ac motors could be controlled with a triac light dimmer... some not. Depending on the TT used you could implement different designs. Some belt driven.. some not. Fender made a similar production one.. I think it was belt driven.

Thread Information