5F6A low volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alexradium View Post
    feedback resistor just lowers the overall gain,assuming it is the right value and the phase is correct,hence negative.Resistor and cap change has a slight effect,for good or worse,only if your building technique is the best possible required,from what i see it's not,sorry,most probably you have some bad soldering or miswire,although voltages are looking fine,which is a good thing.
    I checked all the way but I not able to find the cause of the problem. About feedback resistor, before I had 27K with 16Ohm output. Leave it or change with 75K?

Comment

Originally posted by vinceg View Post
      I checked all the way but I not able to find the cause of the problem. About feedback resistor, before I had 27K with 16Ohm output. Leave it or change with 75K?
      27k is the original referred to a 2 ohm output,no wonder it oscillates at 16 ohms,try 75k at 8 ohm it should be ok

Comment

27k is the original referred to a 2 ohm output,no wonder it oscillates at 16 ohms,try 75k at 8 ohm it should be ok
        I have two 8 Ohm Jensen speakers connected in series, so I have to use the 16 Ohm output, right?

Comment

I have two 8 Ohm Jensen speakers connected in series, so I have to use the 16 Ohm output, right?
          you can use whatever output you want for the feedback,just use the correct value

Comment

Update
            I realized I forgot to solder feedback resistor to out. Unfortunately I do not think was the problem. Now the amp has right volume but sometimes it disappears. It also seems to produce some sort of oscillation when I increase the volume control and it has background noise.
            Enzo said:

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            If an amp was working, then you do something to it, and it no longer works right, it is a safe bet the work you did was the cause. SO look especially at every part you changed, every joint you soldered.
            The volume disappearing could be a consequence of an intermittent fault or short. It could be a crossed component lead like Helmholtz spotted, a bad solder joint or a host of other things. Since the amp worked before the problem is almost certainly a result of the work you performed. You say that the work was ONLY done on the bias supply. But you "forgot to solder feedback resistor". The feedback resistor is not part of the bias supply. So you must have done work on circuits other than the bias supply. Like Enzo said, check everything you worked on.

JM2C but if you ran the amp with a 27k resistor from the 16 ohm tap before the work then leave it that way for now. Once the amp is working correctly you might consider changing some things, but you should get it back to working like it was first.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

you can use whatever output you want for the feedback,just use the correct value
              Sorry but I do not understand. Before re-wiring I had a 27K feedback resistor, two 8 Ohm speakers in series but I do not remember which OT output I used and the amp worked well, it did not oscillate. Now, I leave everything as before or I put the 75K resistor that corresponds according to a 16 Ohm output?

Comment

If you had the output transformer or phase inverter leads lifted and there is any possibility that you reconnected them differently then this may cause the amp to oscillate with the feedback resistor reconnected.

As was mentioned before... The problem is almost surely a mistake in your work. Narrow your search to the work you performed.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  Enzo said:

The volume disappearing could be a consequence of an intermittent fault or short. It could be a crossed component lead like Helmholtz spotted, a bad solder joint or a host of other things. Since the amp worked before the problem is almost certainly a result of the work you performed. You say that the work was ONLY done on the bias supply. But you "forgot to solder feedback resistor". The feedback resistor is not part of the bias supply. So you must have done work on circuits other than the bias supply. Like Enzo said, check everything you worked on.

JM2C but if you ran the amp with a 27k resistor from the 16 ohm tap before the work then leave it that way for now. Once the amp is working correctly you might consider changing some things, but you should get it back to working like it was first.
                  Thank's Chuck, the problem is that I do not know what checked

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    The problem is almost surely a mistake in your work. Narrow your search to the work you performed.
                    Yes, I agree. Unfortunately I re wired the entire circuit and mod the bias circuit. So, I would need a starting point. I have already checked all the connection with tester, the value tension at the pin seems right... I do not know what to do

Comment

Checking heater voltage I discovered that it is 5,20V. Could it be the cause of the problem?

Comment

Checking heater voltage I discovered that it is 5,20V. Could it be the cause of the problem?
                        That is definitely a problem. Heater voltage less than 90% of 6.3vac will cause issues.

I'd suspect the heater voltage is a symptom rather than a cause, though, based simply on the thread discussions so far.
                        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                          That is definitely a problem. Heater voltage less than 90% of 6.3vac will cause issues.

I'd suspect the heater voltage is a symptom rather than a cause, though, based simply on the thread discussions so far.
                          Why a symptom? The voltage of the heaters depends only on the power transformer. Maybe you mean that I also have a problem with the transformer as well as the circuit?

Comment

One thing I forgot to say before. When I checked the voltages at the plates, in the V5 (6L6) the tester did not read the voltage immediately. In the tester's display I saw the value go up to about 400V and at the same time I heard a whistle that stopped when the tester finished the measurement. While in the V4 (6L6) the reading of about 400V was instantaneous and silent.

Comment

Why a symptom? The voltage of the heaters depends only on the power transformer. Maybe you mean that I also have a problem with the transformer as well as the circuit?
                              A symptom because something may be pulling it down. Remove all tubes and check filament voltage at each socket. Should be seeing around 6.7VAC unloaded give or take.
                              nosaj
                              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

that ^^^
                                Plus, what else may be accidentally shorted to the PT windings? A wire whisker, or blob of solder, and now two circuits have become one - to the detriment of both. If a lot of the build was redone during your mods, then a lot of the build needs to be checked and debugged. I know my heart sinks when I contemplate tearing a bunch of stuff out just to start again, but patience and focus is really the foundation of any troubleshooting.
                                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X