No announcement yet.

Measuring Class D output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly the reason for the bridged amps is that they only need to make one module for either stereo or mono purposes.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Possibly the reason for the bridged amps is that they only need to make one module for either stereo or mono purposes.
      For stereo amps absolutely. I have two mono class D amps that are bridged though, just to double the voltage swing.

Comment

The parts is a tiny part of the cost of the amp, and the boards are made by machine, so labor is not any different. Bridged outputs gets twice the power from a power supply.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Doubling the voltage multiplies power by four, doesn't it?

Comment

Both are right
            Doubling voltage quadruples power ... into the same impedance.

So bridging , say, 2 x 100W@4 ohm amps would give you a mono 400W@4 ohm amp.

BUT now each 100W amp is asked to deliver 200W on its own ... either it overheats and blows up or power supply simply canīt feed it whatīs needed.

SO you must double load impedance ... which "lowers" power output into what they can handle.

So a bridged 2 x 100W@4 ohm amp becomes a mono 1 x 200W@8 ohm one.

So doubled swing, plus doubled load impedance becomes twice the individual channel power output.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
            X