H&K Bass Amp: Xenon T10 Lightbulb to T10 LED Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&K Bass Amp: Xenon T10 Lightbulb to T10 LED Conversion

Hey guys, I hope my question will make sense -- as I'm an absolute rookie when it comes to 'electronics'... hence my cry-for-help to you folks.

So... I recently purchased an early 90's Hughes & Kettner BassBase 400 bass amp. The control panel reminds me of an old Sansui or Marantz tuner from the 70's... cool looking blue display...
    The H&K BB600 service doc. states that the replacement bulbs are xenon 12V/ 5W/ T10-WB light bulbs; however, after doing a little googling, I learned that there are maybe twenty gazillion variants of the T10 bulbs, mostly automotive - which is just great, since I loved being confused.

Okay, my questions: (based on being side-tracked whilst googling), can I substitute the xenon T10's with those T10 LED's?
    I understand that I'll need to keep the 12V - 5W units the same - but since I'm trying to go from a light bulb to an LED, would I need to do any modifications to the amp, or are these LED replacements simply plug and play?

Hope I make sense[?]

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Medicinal_Music; 12-11-2018, 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

If the original lamp is 12v and you substitute a 12v Led unit, there should be no problems.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks El Duderino!

I know it’s a simple thing - but I’d rather ask questions than to prod and poke into things I’m unsure of.

Really appreciate the response.

Comment

The Dude, thanks a lot! Been wondering this question for some time now

Comment

First check sockets for voltage and polarity.

Incandescent/Filament lamps , such as "Xenon" ones, are AC/DC and polarity insensitive, LEDS are not so by any means.

So:

* You might have 12VAC feeding those sockets; in that case incandescent will work, LEDs will most probably be damaged.

* You might have 12V DC wrong polarity, again incandescent will work; LED will not and also may be damaged.

* you might have 12VDC proper polarity, in which case all will be fine.

Personally, I would grab a set of same size and specs old style incandescent lamps and use them.

By the way, if they were good enough for H&K .....

EDIT: just checked T10 12V LED lamp, all sockets are polarized, and show different coloured wires.
          Last edited by J M Fahey; 01-14-2019, 04:13 PM.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

From what I can guess of the bassbase600, there are 5 lamps in series running off an AC winding.
            Attached Files
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

And, someone who did it recently:
              http://handkusers.forumotion.com/t61...00-information
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
              X