Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double neck Tele body?

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 138/1
    Given: 127/1
    If you are going to buy new tuners, I'd like to recommend the locking, graduated type. I got the cheap ones from Guitar Fetish, and they work great.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 287/0
    Given: 30/1
    So the Mighty M neck is nice except for one thing... there's a tiny knot hole in the headstock! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8657.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	52299 Not a HUGE deal, I've seen it on MIAs. Probably won't show when the decal is on.
    It dropped right in. I used the 22 fret neck so the "ledge" will cover square cut in the pickguard. I think once it's together with another neck it will be a very nice replica. Just a matter of what pickups and bridges to use now... and a total re-wire of course.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8659.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	637.0 KB 
ID:	52300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8660.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	52301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8661.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	52302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8662.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	52303

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Iíve never used ďLockingĒ tuners. I learned to ďlockĒ my strings decades ago. It amazes me how many players simply donít know how to put on strings... even ones that have been gigging for years. Even guitar shops. Iím sure theyíre worth checking out just for convenience at that price point... but Iíll probably just use what I have for now, they seem fine. Iíve never seen tuner be an issue unless they are broken.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 138/1
    Given: 127/1
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    I’ve never used “Locking” tuners. I learned to “lock” my strings decades ago. It amazes me how many players simply don’t know how to put on strings... even ones that have been gigging for years. Even guitar shops. I’m sure they’re worth checking out just for convenience at that price point... but I’ll probably just use what I have for now, they seem fine. I’ve never seen tuner be an issue unless they are broken.
    I wouldn't use them with a fixed bridge, but I like them with a trem, also with the graduated posts, you can skip the string tree.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 29/2
    Given: 31/1
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    I’ve never used “Locking” tuners. I learned to “lock” my strings decades ago. It amazes me how many players simply don’t know how to put on strings... even ones that have been gigging for years. Even guitar shops. I’m sure they’re worth checking out just for convenience at that price point... but I’ll probably just use what I have for now, they seem fine. I’ve never seen tuner be an issue unless they are broken.
    I know one-or-three methods of anchoring strings dawg, do you care to share which particular method you're referring to? I've never taken to lockers either, and my Strat has thankfully been pretty stable.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I start by turning the post so the hole in the post runs parallel to the neck. I insert the string from the nut side and leave enough slack for 3 - 4 turns with 3.5 optimum. I make a hard bend of the remaining string and pull it tightly around the post under the nut end of the string and the pull tightly straight up. Then I start winding. The wind will lock the string in place with the winds going towards the bottom of the post. When you are done and you cut off the excess string, the nubs should stick straight up. Next, stretch the new set in. I also use pencil lead everywhere the string touches (like the nut slots and the bridge) and put Vaseline (I used to use light oil) on the string trees. Iím a real bender and this method has always worked for me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F11FD361-4E65-4B8E-AA40-D5459A56FA2E.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	627.9 KB 
ID:	52495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C9DA7F97-0D96-4AC4-8696-9CE33D214D23.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	734.7 KB 
ID:	52496 DONE! At least for now. The missing bridge was $11. I used the small tuners from the 12 string on one neck and bought a matching $14 set for the other neck. The necks were Mighty Mite that StewMac gave me a $30 discount on each with them on sale. So $130 apiece. They dropped right in and set up really well. I didnít have to touch the intonation! These necks are great for the price imho. I was able to fix the one damaged neck pickup. All the electronics work.. no buzzes even with reasonable gain. The top neck has a 3 position switch. The bottom neck has a 5 position. The ďneck selectĒ switch is in the horn. It was factory wired this way. One thing you have to be careful with with these Asian screws is torque. If you use these parts itís imperative that you have the correct drill bit and use soap. Iím really pleased with how it turned out. A bit heavy... but itís a double. I have a set of ďSpaghettiĒ Fender headstock decals on order for $10. It should turn some heads and plays and sounds every bit as good as most Teles Iíve played. Now... a case will probably cost more than I have into it!

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,313/4
    Given: 2,684/0
    Bitchin! That actually all came together pretty fast as "projects" go.

"Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    Bitchin! That actually all came together pretty fast as "projects" go.
    And incredibly inexpensive. Btw.. the necks are great. Iíve done very little adjustments after bolting them on. I think most of the Asian suppliers are using the same spec. Iím told by some people that the hardware is inferior... but I just donít see it. Even the cheap knockoff pickups sound good. I got lucky.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thread Information