Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
    Anything can be modified. The 12string neck is just wide
    A wider neck could be a good thing for slide.
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Originally posted by tboy View Post
      A wider neck could be a good thing for slide.
      Not the way I do it.. I have smallish hands and do a lot of fretting as well. I just need an open tuning on a normal neck.
      https://www.facebook.com/Ronnieguita...6171389068505/
      I know Johnny Winter used to use a 12 string strung as a 6 string occasionally, or even a 12 string back in the day. I’m getting a bit old and arthritic for that. Lol.

Comment

And then there’s this:
        https://www.rondomusic.com/product854.html
        Or this:
        https://www.rondomusic.com/product853.html

They say the 6 and the 12 nut are the same width. Probably 2 Fender necks would fit and the bottom unit could be routed for a Strat trem? A rear cover plate would cover any finish issues on the back?

Actually... this might be the ticket if it isn’t 3/4 and the body isn’t total crap..no way of knowing:
        https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273614018056
        Last edited by olddawg; 12-19-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8F904BCA-23CF-45AE-AC0F-1784CBB7CB8B.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	852500

So... I bought this one for $85... Worth a gamble. Probably Chinese. The Maestro brand is really random. I just mostly want the body and maybe the pickguard. This body LOOKED more accurate than the others. I’ll be shimming up a couple of Squier Telecaster necks on it (I’m sure the necks on it are garbage and certainly look strange!) and replacing the hardware with stuff I have laying around. The missing bridge... I have a drop in one (I hope) that takes a full size humbucker. If it sets up works well, I’ll rout the bottom guitar for a Strat Trem eventually. Took a bit of a gamble, but for $85 I won’t bitch. The wife buys shoes for more constantly. I don’t know the body wood. It has a veneer. I’m hoping everything is “Asian Standard” spec and that it doesn’t weigh 20lbs. Can’t beat the price though! Any comments or suggestions welcome. I’m hoping to put together a “usable” double neck FrankenTele for under $400.

Comment

Can't wait to see the finished product!
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Name:	40BD9807-7AED-483F-A03D-D38DAF876907.jpeg
Size:	826.4 KB
ID:	852502

Something like this eventually but with a Strat Trem... this is Richie Sambora’s.

Comment

Name:	5C075DA9-5815-4E7B-9BAB-157A449122C4.jpeg
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	852592

Well I got it. Weighs 14.5lbs. Not sure of the wood type... guessing basswood. Appears to be brand new (the protective plastic is still on the pickguard and pickups). Seems that everything is made to Fender Asian spec despite the weird headstocks. Actually.. the 6 string neck is not bad. I was going to throw some Squier necks on it, but I think I may use the 22 fret 6 string Mighty Mites with the rosewood fretboards: https://mightymite.com/product/rosewood-fingerboard-4/
                And since it is missing the bridge already, I’m going to put a full size humbucker knock off bridge in the top guitar since that’s what I have. Might do some clambering under the pickguard. That, the lighter necks, and no 12 string may bring that weight down a bit. That body doesn’t have a mark on it... just dirty. Not a bad start for $85. The electronics are crap of course. Still not sure what that extra toggle switch does? May a kill switch there.

Comment

Might do some clambering under the pickguard.
                  What's that you said?
                  Smuggler Special!
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Name:	39342D7F-9CFE-45C7-A305-120358FECB23.jpeg
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	852595

This is the only real flaw I can find.. but I’ve seen it on USA Fenders before too...

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                      ......Still not sure what that extra toggle switch does? May a kill switch there.
                      I wonder if one of the toggles is a pickup switch and the other switches from one neck to the other.
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        I wonder if one of the toggles is a pickup switch and the other switches from one neck to the other.
                        Normally the center switch selects between both pickups on each neck to the switch on the plate. I have no idea what the "horn" switch does. I'll figure it out shortly..

Name:	7F78A51C-3FA5-46F5-B820-09EF43374294.jpeg
Size:	607.3 KB
ID:	852597
                        Last edited by olddawg; 01-03-2019, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Ok.. here is how it’s wired.. which is stupid and uses one too many switches. The middle switch is the 3 pickup positions for the top neck. The bottom (horn) switch is the 3 pickup positions for the bottom neck. The “Tele plate” switch switches between the 2 necks. Go figure? The pickups themselves don’t even seem THAT bad. I mean I’m sure they are modern ceramic magnets and cheap but they are decently made. Probably will squeal like a bitch with any gain though. We will see. Time to order a $15 bridge and decide on necks. Too bad these necks are so ugly and massive, it doesn’t play half bad at all and intonates fine. I found the missing 12 string Tele style bridge for $17 on eBay.. I could actually fix it as is. But I want a 6 x 6.

Comment

It's not nice "piecing" on the top wood, but it looks like tiger striped maple! Are you going to keep it clear or paint it?
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                              It's not nice "piecing" on the top wood, but it looks like tiger striped maple! Are you going to keep it clear or paint it?
                              It's laminated with that "tobacco" finish on the top and black on the back. I don't know what the body wood is. It isn't plywood, lol. I'm going to try to keep the original finish. Like I said. It seems to be new. Doesn't have a mark on it. Just heavier than I would prefer.

Comment

Name:	D60ED9FA-E0B0-48D2-BA80-C1EE5CD18AFA.jpeg
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	852856Click image for larger version

Name:	52B044F6-9B6F-4B82-87F2-1674A56A446B.jpeg
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	852854Click image for larger version

Name:	61F62C74-4101-4AF3-B8B0-0AEC9D9F4120.jpeg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	852855Finally getting started on this again. StewMac is having a $30 off sale on necks. So I ordered a Mighty Mite 22 fret rosewood fretboard “Fender Licensed” Tele neck to replace the 12 string neck and 2 Asian Tele bridges from Amazon.. one for a full sized humbucker and one standard modern. Honestly.. the bottom 6 string neck plays just fine. It’s just ugly. Lol! When I get everything working I’ll replace it too to match the top neck... but probably a “V” profile. I don’t know what the trip was with this thing. It’s new except missing the 12 string bridge. Still.. ALL of the electronics will be replaced over time. If it’s a real player it will get matching reproduction waterslides on the headstocks. I still want to rout the bottom guitar for a Strat trem eventually. Lots of posibities. So far I have less than $300 invested in a double neck. I even found the replacement 12 string bridge online for $40... but I don’t want or need a 12 string. I guess I will have 2 good necks for future projects with ugly headstocks. NOW.. I have to figure out where to get a case that potentially cost more than I will have into the whole guitar... been there before!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by olddawg; 01-26-2019, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X