Double neck Tele body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
    StewMac is having a $30 off sale on necks. So I ordered a Mighty Mite 22 fret rosewood fretboard “Fender Licensed” Tele neck...
    Is this the neck you're commenting on here?

the bottom 6 string neck plays just fine. It’s just ugly. Lol!
    I've wondered about the MM necks. Any comments on their suitability? I'm unclear if these comments are about the stock Asian necks or the replacement.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Chuck... I’ll tell you when I get it. Anytime you order a neck from anyone it’s a crap shoot anyway. I could have gotten the 21 fret version from them for $99 this week... probably free shipping too on Amazon Prime. But I got the 22 fret for asthetic reasons more than anything with the fretboard overhanging the neck pocket a bit and is available only direct. These necks are made in Indonesia but are rock maple. I also wanted an Indian Rosewood fretboard. They are licensed by Fender so at least the headstocks are accurate. I’ll order another if I like it. I’ve heard good things about them and the reviews are good. Time will tell. It didn’t break the bank either way. The bridges I bought were cheap. I’m going to put the original pickup in it first. Will have the option to switch to a humbucker if I want. I always seem to have unpredictable issues playing out with any single coil pickups. Just too much ambient noise in most clubs.

Comment

I helped a friend of my daughter build a franken strat as a school project. He had to report on expenses, difficulty of operations, finishing, assembly, etc. He wasn't finished with the project when he turned in the assignment, but his reporting was good and he received a good grade. We purchased a MM maple/rosewood neck for the project. It was straight with level frets that were very decent in finish. The fingerboard was thin enough that it looked odd to me, but I'm use to more vintage construction. I remember looking it over and thinking it would do the job nicely. But I never did get to actually set up the guitar and play it. That was eight or nine years ago! So I'm looking forward to your report.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I ordered one several years ago. Overall it was pretty good for the money. I did dress the frets, and the ends of the frets stuck out a little which I didn't notice at first, so I'm not sure if it came like that or if the wood shrunk after I got it. it's all good now.
          Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F46A5E19-CCFF-4E07-809A-D221F8720518.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1,008.6 KB
ID:	852877 So the $11 Squier bridge dropped right in. Arrived in one day from Amazon. The original pickup mounted perfectly and the “through body” holes even lined up. The “humbucker” bridge has the same mounting and hole dimensions. The other original hardware looks wierd because it still has the shipping plastics on it. The neck is supposed to come in a couple of days. If it sets up well I’ll order another, similar neck.

Comment

If you are going to buy new tuners, I'd like to recommend the locking, graduated type. I got the cheap ones from Guitar Fetish, and they work great.

Comment

So the Mighty M neck is nice except for one thing... there's a tiny knot hole in the headstock! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8657.JPG
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	852936 Not a HUGE deal, I've seen it on MIAs. Probably won't show when the decal is on.
                It dropped right in. I used the 22 fret neck so the "ledge" will cover square cut in the pickguard. I think once it's together with another neck it will be a very nice replica. Just a matter of what pickups and bridges to use now... and a total re-wire of course.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8659.JPG
Size:	637.0 KB
ID:	852937Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8660.JPG
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	852938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8661.JPG
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	852939Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8662.JPG
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	852940

Comment

I’ve never used “Locking” tuners. I learned to “lock” my strings decades ago. It amazes me how many players simply don’t know how to put on strings... even ones that have been gigging for years. Even guitar shops. I’m sure they’re worth checking out just for convenience at that price point... but I’ll probably just use what I have for now, they seem fine. I’ve never seen tuner be an issue unless they are broken.

Comment

I’ve never used “Locking” tuners. I learned to “lock” my strings decades ago. It amazes me how many players simply don’t know how to put on strings... even ones that have been gigging for years. Even guitar shops. I’m sure they’re worth checking out just for convenience at that price point... but I’ll probably just use what I have for now, they seem fine. I’ve never seen tuner be an issue unless they are broken.
                    I wouldn't use them with a fixed bridge, but I like them with a trem, also with the graduated posts, you can skip the string tree.

Comment

I know one-or-three methods of anchoring strings dawg, do you care to share which particular method you're referring to? I've never taken to lockers either, and my Strat has thankfully been pretty stable.

Comment

I start by turning the post so the hole in the post runs parallel to the neck. I insert the string from the nut side and leave enough slack for 3 - 4 turns with 3.5 optimum. I make a hard bend of the remaining string and pull it tightly around the post under the nut end of the string and the pull tightly straight up. Then I start winding. The wind will lock the string in place with the winds going towards the bottom of the post. When you are done and you cut off the excess string, the nubs should stick straight up. Next, stretch the new set in. I also use pencil lead everywhere the string touches (like the nut slots and the bridge) and put Vaseline (I used to use light oil) on the string trees. I’m a real bender and this method has always worked for me.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F11FD361-4E65-4B8E-AA40-D5459A56FA2E.jpeg
Size:	627.9 KB
ID:	853054Click image for larger version

Name:	C9DA7F97-0D96-4AC4-8696-9CE33D214D23.jpeg
Size:	734.7 KB
ID:	853055 DONE! At least for now. The missing bridge was $11. I used the small tuners from the 12 string on one neck and bought a matching $14 set for the other neck. The necks were Mighty Mite that StewMac gave me a $30 discount on each with them on sale. So $130 apiece. They dropped right in and set up really well. I didn’t have to touch the intonation! These necks are great for the price imho. I was able to fix the one damaged neck pickup. All the electronics work.. no buzzes even with reasonable gain. The top neck has a 3 position switch. The bottom neck has a 5 position. The “neck select” switch is in the horn. It was factory wired this way. One thing you have to be careful with with these Asian screws is torque. If you use these parts it’s imperative that you have the correct drill bit and use soap. I’m really pleased with how it turned out. A bit heavy... but it’s a double. I have a set of “Spaghetti” Fender headstock decals on order for $10. It should turn some heads and plays and sounds every bit as good as most Teles I’ve played. Now... a case will probably cost more than I have into it!

Comment

Bitchin! That actually all came together pretty fast as "projects" go.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                              Bitchin! That actually all came together pretty fast as "projects" go.
                              And incredibly inexpensive. Btw.. the necks are great. I’ve done very little adjustments after bolting them on. I think most of the Asian suppliers are using the same spec. I’m told by some people that the hardware is inferior... but I just don’t see it. Even the cheap knockoff pickups sound good. I got lucky.

Comment

Complete and in action...

https://www.facebook.com/87577292910...14&v=e&sfns=mo

Comment

Working...
                                X